Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf 98 action price?(pics added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted
I was curious as to what would the going price be on an original oberndorf action standard bolt face,lever release floorplate and double set triggers?
Thanks

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would depend on condition i.e. pitting, charger hump ground off with die grinder to mount Weaver rear base, etc and configuration meaning standard military round top, double or single square bridge. Also, is everything else proper, like the long cocking piece and corresponding firing pin?

I have some Oberndorf factory spec sheet facsimiles from another member here, if you can measure the inside mag box dimensions (F & R width, total length, height at F & R) I can help you narrow down what it was likely chambered for, as most of the original chamberings differed a bit in mag box dims.

FWIW, 4 years ago I paid $1000 for a 1922 vintage Oberndorf in 9.3x62, standard military receiver config, otherwise as you describe, in good but well used shape (that would be for the whole rifle, all parts intact and matching). On GunsAmerica they appear to be more valuable than some precious metals pound for pound, then again they don't seem to sell really fast at those prices...

T

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
It is a 8x57 standard configuration in great condition,has claw mount bases and was made in 1908.

Thanks

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Photos would help a lot in making a valuation estimate.

Is the front squarebridge foot dovetailed into the receiver ring? What type of clawmounts? Does it come with rings and scope? (it can cost a lot to fit a new scope into existing clawmounts)

What is the barrel like? Round, Octagon to Round, Rib or no Rib?

There are just so many variables but you can feel confident in knowing its worth between $200 and $3,000.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
you can feel confident in knowing its worth between $200 and $3,000.

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend just sold one in the white for 2k plus.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Wow,
I didn't expect this to get this complicated.$200-$3000 is a pretty big ball park. I have a few oberndorf sporters that I may sell in the near future that are not collector quality and was wondering if I could get more by breaking them up. I just want to know what a basic action will go for now?Here is pictures of one.
Fred

DRSS Member

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post

DRSS Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
You wonder if you can get more money by breaking them up?

Eeker

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This one is going to be worth more as is. The dovetailed receiver ring is pretty much a deal killer for guys looking for an action to build on.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forest, other than the front claw mount bases that are dove tailed into the front ring, are some of those old claw mounts designed with screws into the front ring rather than that honkin dovetail.

Its hard to tell looking at pictures I see on gunbroker.

Fred, Ill take any of those old decomposing stocks if you tear any of those rifles apart Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
GSP7, I'm not a vintage Mauser expert by any stretch. I have seen some with a soldered "saddle" on the front ring that is dovetailed. I don't recall seeing any with screws securing the front clawmount assembly. Custom builders have used various sleeves that are fitted to either the barrel or ring or both that provide a dovetail to fit the clawmount base.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen the saddle. Thats what I thought might be attached with screws, soldered though is probably the others I have seen.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Fred,

I'll give you $200 if you throw in the book. Big Grin

I'd leave it together if I were you.

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Forrest said between $200 and $3000 how about we split the difference and call it $2995 and I'll think about the book. hillbilly

Fred

DRSS Member

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen some with a soldered "saddle" on the front ring that is dovetailed.

Those were soldered on.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Approx. how long is that there front saddle Doug?

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WVFred: Didn't realize you were talking about a whole rifle. I guess you have my story as a comparison - yours is a more common caliber, albeit in much nicer shape.

Todd

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The front base is a tad over 1 3/8" long.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote