New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take Down Rifles.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello. I need some advise from individuals who built them or owned and used them.
I am considering getting a .3000H&H built. Is the extra time and expense worth it. How about repeat accuracy. Or would I be better off by just getting a complete non take down built. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Advice; Classic take downs will have the forearm attached to the barrel, as opposed to a switch barrel, which requires the barreled action to be removed from the stock before removing the barrel. So, in effect, all bolt rifles are "take down". There are a few methods of doing it from full threads, interrupted threads, under fore arm latches, and barrel set screws.
To the H&H type where the entire barreled receiver is quickly removable from the stock.
But given my first criterion, then, no they aren't worth all the extra cost. UNLESS you count the "cool" factor, then they are worth it. I have built them, and a couple of lever actions too.
Do they hold zero? Usually, for hunting accuracy, depending on how they are built. Better off? Back to the coolness factor vs the cost.
They were developed in the 19th century when people used lots of public transportation and didn't have room for much luggage. Now, not so much.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Why not a break action single?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the trouble to build a takedown because I wanted one.

It now only gets taken down when I travel.

I have used the takedown ability of the rifle to extract cases that have separated but I don't think it's a reason to own one.

I like "tool less" takedowns but that's personal preference.

One that needs reshooting every time you take it down isn't worth having.

I will go to the trouble of fitting the second barrel/forearm ............eventually.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add; the only time my take downs got taken down is to show people how they worked.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have made several and owned a couple I have made myself. I have also owned a couple of Blaser R93s. I'll never own another. The only ones that came back to zero reliably were the ones with cantilever scope mounts with the scope permanently mounted to the bore. I always take a spare rifle on a hunting trip anyway in case one fails. I see them as a novelty item now, like 0 bore punt guns and smooth bore 22s for shooting butterfly's.

coffee But to each their own. If yah gotta have one, yah gotta get one.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not a break action single?

Or an AR style rifle

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
Hello. I need some advise from individuals who built them or owned and used them.
I am considering getting a .3000H&H built. Is the extra time and expense worth it. How about repeat accuracy. Or would I be better off by just getting a complete non take down built. Thanks in advance.

Yes they are worth it for me. I loth flying with a long case. I have quite a few takedowns and they are plenty accurate for hunting purposes.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser k95 stutzen, 24" case fits in my suitcase. What's not to like about about that? Returns to zero every time it's put back together. Expensive though. Longer barreled bolt guns fit the small pelican case that fits the trunk of small European cars, but if you are not traveling a lot I would not go to the expense just to have a switch barrel gun as they have to be done right. Done right=Expensive.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Never had a zero-holding problem...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
Blaser k95 stutzen, 24" case fits in my suitcase. What's not to like about about that? Returns to zero every time it's put back together. Expensive though. Longer barreled bolt guns fit the small pelican case that fits the trunk of small European cars, but if you are not traveling a lot I would not go to the expense just to have a switch barrel gun as they have to be done right. Done right=Expensive.

What case are you running on your K-95? Mine is 28". Would like something shorter as it a tight fit to put in the drop bottom duffle I have.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made TD's from 270 to 500 Jeff. Most of them are on the big stuff, I guess because they are most likely to make an overseas trip.

It does make a handy package, appreciated from the time you leave home until you get back.

Repeatable zero is of more concern between the ears than real life experience`. Yes, gotta pay attention to detail plus a few "tricks" in the build.

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mannlicher Schoenauer and 1916 Newton versions are my favorite take down systems. They are virtually identical. Neither requires removing the barrel from the receiver, which is a feature I am uncomfortable with, from experience with 99 Savages and Winchester Model 12's, both of which are notorious for shooting loose.

The M/S system requires removing a spring loaded pin from an escutcheon in the fore end, which is a problem, since the pin is apt to get lost and impossible to find a replacement for. The Newton can be taken down without any tools, since the hinged floor plate serves as a wrench to release the front of the receiver, and no parts are detached from the rifle in the process. The Newton system also provides the means of tightening the receiver in the stock, should wood shrinkage require it.

Back in the day, I was allowed to bring my cased Krieghoff three barrel set with me on the plane. The hostess relieved me of it and stowed it forward in the cabin, where it was inaccessible during the flight. I was assured of arriving in Nairobi with my .458 WM, .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" Magnum immediately available. My ammunition, in a metal container, was checked with the regular baggage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason thre4ads get loose is because the owners are constantly showing how "It comes apart"
Human nature! and ALL threads will wear, so the answer in my opinion is to allow take up adjustment.

I like to put everything on bands, barrel cam be tightened, then sights, forearm hanger can be brought back to battery

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your input. Since I won't be doing much traveling. I will forgoe the idea and stick to a fixed rifle. Much appreciated.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Duane is yours an Orth patent type system?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

What case are you running on your K-95? Mine is 28". Would like something shorter as it a tight fit to put in the drop bottom duffle I have.
It's the Americase,actually just over 23", it came with the rifle. Merkel used to sell theirs that way too sometimes.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

It's the Americase,actually just over 23", it came with the rifle. Merkel used to sell theirs that way too sometimes.

sometime when you get a chance would you mind snapping a pic of it open and send to me? I'll get them to build me one.
Thank You,

801-706-1701

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never owned one but always thought they looked super cool. I do know that if I were using it a lot I would appreciate the package size. With trap guns it's nice to break it down and can take in my wife's little Honda.

Duane et al what's the difference in overall package size for a take down bolt gun vs a take down double rifle? The lack of an action must still make the double shorter right?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The length of the barrels dictates the OAL, like with a double rifle. Unless you like short barrels, in which case, it doesn't. Your stock with action will always be about 22 inches long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee
I follow the old rule of thumb that:
"The larger the box is, the harder it is for Air Canada to to lose it!"

I'm not going on record as saying that they couldn't lose, misplace or accidentally redirect a crated elephant, destined for Miami Florida, to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories. It's just slightly less likely !

Slightly!
Less likely.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Duane is yours an Orth patent type system?

The short answer is that I've never patented anything I have "developed" a system that I like since it pulls the two parts together very rigidly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee
I follow the old rule of thumb that:
"The larger the box is, the harder it is for Air Canada to to lose it!"

I'm not going on record as saying that they couldn't lose, misplace or accidentally redirect a crated elephant, destined for Miami Florida, to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories. It's just slightly less likely !

Slightly!
Less likely.

One can always find a logical reason to do or not do everything or anything

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

One can always find a logical reason to do or not do everything or anything

coffee I've found that the older I get, the easier it gets for me to form these logical conclusions too Duane. I say that I have become more practical and decisive. Others however, say that I am grumpy, arrogant and opinionated.
I don't play well with others. Others seem to have a problem with losing. LOL

But I have owned a lot of commercial take downs and I have built my fair share over the years. For my own use, I have always owned them out of novelty. I have never been in a situation where space dictated their necessity. Some designs work better than others. Some, like Blasers R93 work phenomenally well as long as the scopes remained attached to the barrels. As you pointed out a few threads back, a lot of the poorer designs are ruined or lose their point of zero repeatability because people insist on showing every other kid in the county how the fool thing comes apart.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a takedown rifle. I normally leave it taken down in its little case, for easy storage and transport to the range.

It's a Remington Model 8, made in 1914. It was designed by John Moses Browning. It comes apart and goes together without tools. Oh, and it's a recoil-operated semiauto too.

The takedown mechanism is so slick I suspect a lot of Model 8 owners were never aware that they owned a takedown rifle...

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the problem with a take down is you never have the correct barrel for the game hunted when you jump one out...Happens all the time, been there done that...return to zero suits some folks, but a take down rarely returns to "exact zero",regardless of claims to the contrary, Ive owned twp that did but one was a screw in and the other a a Savage 99 that I still own, and I don't take it down. The clincher was when I saw a fine Tanzania Kudu returned with my 7x57 Custom Brno mod 21, and jumped a really nice Cape buffalo, it worked but what if it had not, I am not a take down fan. but I speak only for myself, I feel it just sounds good in principle, but in the hunting fields its not much punkin..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a H&H style takedown on an 09 Argentine custom.

Shoots less than MOA taking down between shots. The system doesn't use threads so doesn't wear. It doesn't get so small but ends up as stock and barelled action

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one built by HS Precision in 300wm, 280rem and 375 HH. All hold zero and shoot sub MOA. I take them apart regularly as I have one stock for the 3 barrels and 3 scopes.

I am getting a Blaser as well.

If built to spec and you use Talley rings or some other machined ring, scope returns to zero every time.

I doubt I ever take a non takedown rifle to Africa again.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote