New
Find
Notify
Tools

floorplate release on pre '64 M70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am at the end of my knowledge for the moment and need some expert advice...I have a Pre '64 M70 300 H&H and the floorplate will not completely latch! Almost but not quite. This is with a new mag. box, follower and spring. It also will not close with the spring and follower removed. May I assume that the box is a touch too deep? Any suggestions or solutions, please!!! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest first step is to check the middle and rear screws to see if they are too tight or too loose. 1/4-1/2 turn each way may answer your question.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The floorplate may be a whisker too long. If you determine that to be the problem you can file a little off of the end of the floorplate. Some people (actually Winchester) says to put a large dowel midway under the mag well opening and apply pressure on the floorplate to bow it a little, which also shortens it. I just file them and touch uo with cold blue.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's the curse of the 2 piece bottom metal. That's assuming that the problem is not the new mag box.

Slightly loosen all 3 screws. Push the trigger guard to the rear and the floor plate to the front. Close the floor plate. Tighten the front and rear screws. Open the floor plate and snug, not tighten, the center screw.

If that doesn't cure it, look at the mag box. Resist the urge to file, sand or otherwise remove metal from original parts that worked before they were disassembled. Original bottom metal is expensive.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You "may" have to attack it with the file. You deed to determing where it needs to be done though.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
A really nice and no too expensive touch is replace it with a William's Oberndorf style floorplate and guard. They are one piece and come in the white or blued for under $200.

http://gunloads.com/clients/wi...pup_image.php?pID=99

http://gunloads.com/clients/wi...9eb8b13ae760cbf4e3ab

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After re-reading, this sounds like the box is the problem. Take it apart and remove the box, reassemble and see if the problem still exists. Take it from there; you may have to take some material off the bottom of the box

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote