THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are aluminum scope mount rails made?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am referring to aluminum picatinny rails(aka Weaver style) for scope mounting. Seems to me the short, interrupted rails installed on the two bridges of receiver are cut from a long one. Are they being extruded as a long unit, then cut down to size, then cross-slots are machined into them?

Are there one-piece aluminum scope mounting rails for bolt-guns?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Pyro,

What model of rifle do you want to put this on?
There are several different types of 1 piece mounts depending on what you have.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Mauser(large&small ring), Tikka, Winchester70, Remington700, and also Sako.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question they are extruded and then machined. Cross slotes and bottom contours are machined and they are cut to length. You can by 1 piece bases for most actions. Try Brownells, they have an incredible list of actions that can be mounted with a 1 piece weaver base in their latest catalog. Also if your in a hurry they will answer questions over the phone on the tech line.. They even sell several different varieties of blank weaver base material for those who need to make a base fit something special..

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
... And another complexity is that some of the picatinny rails have forward tilt amounting to a 20 MOA or 50 MOA elevation built in as an add-on to the scope elevation adjustment for long range work.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get Tapco AR15 risers in qauntity [~$8] and mill the bottom to make custom Weaver rails. The tops are then already anodized.

-

[ 10-09-2003, 18:29: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
CLARK,

Off the subject.........How did you end up with member #1 ??? I thought that would be Saeed and company. Just a question....No more

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote