New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for aspiring (hobbyist) gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In January I'm planning on taking some basic machine shop training at the local vo-tech school with the goal of eventually going to some of the summer NRA gunsmithing courses. What should I concentrate on in my training? I have no desire to make a career of these skills but would like to become a first class hobbyist. Thanks!

Posts: 173 | Location: Meadowview Virginia | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
I would suggest you get well versed in "Speed and Feed" and treading. Learn how to grind cutting tools or select the correct carbide for the task at hand. Learn how to read the various tools that are used in measuring. Once you have a good handle on the above issues, the rest is easy. Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The one skill I think is manditory for a good smith is to become very good with a Tig torch.

A lot of folks know how to remove metal.....but not too many can put it back on.

When you can cut an old Mauser action in half, shorten it 3/8" and put it back together again, you're ahead of most.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hell, dog, you don't want to be a hobbyist. You want to be the master.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
first and formore

DO NOT EVERY BUY A COMBO machine..

I have a grizzly midum sized 3 in 1.. and for the money, it works okay... but it's a nightmare to thread on and it's NOT a hoss mill.

rule number 2

buy good handtools... files, screwdrivers, etc..

third... screw up YOUR guns, or, if you are that much better than me, read that as gain expereince on your own guns.... that way you feel the pain.

forth... send trigger jobs to someone else.. NEVER adjust one for anyone else.. ever, period

best of luck, have a ball

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I am no smith, I worked in a shop for a bit. Best lesson I learned. 1st question to ask yourself. "Can I afford to buy another one if I screw this up" [Big Grin] . That most times gives you the confidence to do a good job and not worry about it. Practice, practice,practice is the 2nd [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
With all do respect. Nothing wrong with doing the hobby thing. I think it takes a lot of time and money (equipment, tools, etc.) to become very proficient at machining tasks. What I mean is consistantly good at it. If buying any machines, do it only after having machined for a few years first. Or have a machinist friend help you pick one out. I have taken many machining type courses, but 95% of my knowledge in machining came from being taught over a long time from machinist with 25+ years of experience. I have been machining full-time for the last seven years and still honing my skills.
For some very good and low cost threading and turning tools I suggest the carbide brazed on tools. Plus you can get the threading tool that off-sets to the left so you can cut closer to the barrel thread relief. I know J&Lindustrial.com sells them for only about $8 each. If needed, email and I'll look the part number up for you.
Best wishes,
Larry

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been a professional bartender, janitor, home builder, electrical engineer, and now handyman.

But despite having all the right equipment, I am still an amateur guitar player, photographer, and gunsmith.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
If it turns out that you enjoy the metal work and you also want to live in an area with metals manufacturing I suggest that you strive to become a tool and die maker. Of course you will need talent to reach this level as well as desire.

Once you get there you can do gunsmith work on your spare time at whatever level you wish.

There are many right answers to this question but around here what with all the defense work there is a steady demand for such a trade.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVB:
I would suggest you get well versed in "Speed and Feed" and treading. Learn how to grind cutting tools or select the correct carbide for the task at hand. Learn how to read the various tools that are used in measuring. Once you have a good handle on the above issues, the rest is easy. Good luck!

What he said..

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Start putting up a supply of Turk Mausers and just start doing it...

Also make sure your tech college is OK with you working on firearms on their premises...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote