ntxt
 Login/Join

<G.Hansen>
posted
ntxt

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd rebarrel and simply have the contour matched and sight installed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked a lot into lining a barrel to 25 caliber a whicle back, and I found only two liners available, one for 25-20 and one for 25-35. Both are made by Redmans. The 25-35 is 1-10". These are meant primarily to line old lever actions and low pressure rifles. The 25-35 is only 1/2" in diameter. Even though the savage is a mild cartridge, it is still around .470 at the base and runs a lot more pressure than the 25-35 in stock form. It would take a good smith to drill it out and get rid of the chamber if your original chamber is the slightest bit oversized. In addition, the new cahmber could cut through the joint if everything is not concentric. Even if you cut the chamber, the liner at the back of the chamber will be only around 1/100th of an inch thick. I don't think that's a good idea. Also, the liner is a little over $5.00 a foot from Track of the Wolf (the only people I could find who stocked it), and the quote I got from a guy highly recommended to do this was $200 to install and chamber.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Optimum Goals- 1.) Maintain original barrel profile/iron sights and 2.) have slower rifling for heavier bullets (don't ever use 87 grn.)

have slower rifling for heavier bullets

Slower is for lighter. Faster is for heavier bullets

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
+1 for rebarrel...simple, quick, easily done...in todays world relining is passe and a heck of a lot more work.

Most barrel makers will contour to YOUR barrel design for a few dollars more.

The rest of your list is...just not done/not feasable/more costly/questionable.

If you want to shoot heavier bullets go with a 1-10 T 250 AI or 300 Sav, or use the 300 Sav case and wildcat up to 35 cal or down to 6.5 or 7mm...only slightly less ballistics than the 308 case offerings.

I bought a nice 1926, 26" 300 Sav, tang sighted, takedown with no collectors value with the intention of doing a 6.5 or 7mm/300 Sav, but it shot so nice I decided to leave it as is...

Luck