New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 70-- MR-7 Trigger Tuning
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As many know, the Marlin MR-7 incorporates the features of the best bolt actions [they say...]. The trigger is Mod 70 Winchester.

Taking the tension off the return spring still leaves me with well over 3 almost 4 pounds of pull. I need to hone/polish the sear engagement it appears. Has anyone tried a polish of sorts of that surface with a mild lap like JB bore paste? So very little material is the difference between reliable engagement and needing a new part IF too much comes off. The only honing stone I have is 'on loan'.

I have successfully tuned some triggers BTW. Mainly slow and a little at a time. I bother with such because the 'smith' doing any at all near me is locked to 3.5 lbs for a minimum. He sez insurance reasons.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would polish the trigger and sear with Flitz and see how they turn out. The Model 70/MR7 trigger is not easily fooled with, so I wouldn't change any angles, as this affects how the safety is timed. If you can't get it right by polishing, then the best advice I can give you is send it to Mark Penrod of Penrod Precision in North Manchester Indiana. He will make you a trigger that is absolutely unbelievable. He worked mine over and it is the finest job I've ever seen on any gun. I can't remember the cost, but it was around $60 for the trigger job, if you want it repinned to eliminate side to side play, that's $75 more. I'm not sure of the charges, but he will fill you in. Give him a call, as he's a great guy and a super gunsmith, you won't be sorry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a site that suggests how to adjust the trigger.

www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.htm

Here is my advice. 1. Do not touch the sear surfaces with anything but dry moly powder. Of course if they are rough then something needs to be done. 2. Always do the drop test as you go along. Don't skip it. 3. If the two nuts are all the way to the trigger and the spring is still making contact you could remove one or both of the nuts. At this point you don't need them. Then two on the other side will lock the screw. However I just change the spring to a lighter one. Remember that the spring must have constant tension to be safe.

Now I don't know what the take up is on that rifle if any or the backlash. Take up can be changed by putting a dab of epoxy or soft solder on the trigger and filling it to fit.

A M70 safety can be adjusted to a safe two pound pull using these methods. Big game hunting rifles really don't need such a light pull in my experiance. The rough conditions and excitement make a heavier pull safer. A crisp three pound pull is plenty light for me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote