THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Price (not the country western singer)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What can anyone tell me about Ray Price? Hallowell just posted a couple of his rifles for sale. This one looks like a bargain. http://www.hallowellco.com/ray_price_270.htm

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Ray Price is (was?) a country and western singer of the 50's, 60's, 70's, one of my favorites. Four Walls, For the good times, I won't mention it again, A lot more. Don't know if he is still kickin' or not.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Price is one of my favorites also. He is still around see him on CMT once in awhile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ummm, not exacty the information I was looking for, but it is appreciated. Ray Price the gunmaker was the builder of these rifles, I am not certain, but I really don't think it was the same guy.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Do a search or PM Customstox. He has been discussed before.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a Ray Price that is a "Top Fuel" Harley rider and has set numerous speed records as well as ET records.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew Ray, he was a friend of mine. He pasted away 2 or 3 years ago. He was a good friend of Chic Worthing, in fact I think Ray taught Chic everything he knows. Ray had a shop in Eastern Washington just outside Wenatchee. He was a member of the American Gunmaker Guild, a nice guy and a great gunmaker. He did both the metalsmithng and stockmaking for the rifles he built. Any ore questions?

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Mark,

What else would Ray typically do to a rifle as far as metalwork on the action? Hallowell only says the action has a jeweled bolt, two-panel checkered bolt knob and Blackburn-type hinged straddle floorplate. Do you think he would have made other modifications to tune feeding, accuracy, etc.?

Edited: Sorry, realized after i posted that I would be hijacking your thread. Part of message deleted.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. The workmanship looks top notch from what you can see in the pictures. From reading what Chic said about him in the previous post I am sure this rifle and the .375 that they have are both worth every bit of the asking price.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
I have been away for a while and missed this one. I will give you a call on Monday and fill you in on Ray.

Ray was a very good gunsmith and did excellent work and his reputation was way behind the quality of his work. I was able to purchase one of his rifles through an AR regular who lives in the SW and feel grateful that I have it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote