Find
Notify
Tools

How to tame muzzle jump?
 Login/Join

<mnmark>
posted
Good Day all,
My problem is this. I have a Rem. 700 BDL in 338 RUM that I mainly shoot from a bench. When I do, the rifle likes to jump about 6 inches off the bags and I have to reposition my rifle every time. I realize that the muzzle jump can never be totally eliminated, but how can I eliminate some of this jump.
I've thought about putting on a muzzle break; magnaporting; or perhaps going to a slightly longer (28") barrel and maybe going one contour heavier with the barrel. I don't want it to affect accuaracy either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

<Bill>
posted
I have a 340 wby that I put a brake on. The brake is wonderful and accuracy is superb.

I my own experinece, the magnaport does not work nearly as well as a brake reducing recoil, and it has the same disadvantage of increased noise.

I would go with the brake.
There is a picture of the gun with brake installed and a group I shot with it on my website if you want to take a look.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 11-11-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
What was said is correct, Mag-Na-Porting will do little to reduce recoil, but I have several rifles, and pistols, that are Mag-Na-Ported and porting almost totally eliminates muzzle jump. MNPing is nowhere near as loud as the brakes, but still loud enough that you should have hearing protection on even when hunting. Neither braking nor porting will have any affect on accuracy or velocity, at least not in any of my rifles or handguns where I added it (so long as you do not shorten the barrel when adding the brake). Any accuracy gained by adding a brake or porting is most likely gained by your ability to shoot the rifle with less fatigue.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
with one of my muzzle brakes. KDF type, I make them from scratch to align perfectly with the axis of the bore. 4140 chrom-moly or
416 stainless $150.00 installed + shipping.

------------------

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
This seems to be a highly subjective sensation, but I have to agree with Big Bore regarding the value of a MagNa-Port. My experience should interest you, MNMark. I had a stock M700 rechambered to .340 Wby. Recoil was brutal and it almost always leaped off the rest while the butt flew into my lap. My face got bruised like I'd been punched. It kicked much worse than a hot-loaded 458. I did three things: rebarreled heavier (No 5), longer (1 inch) and ported. Now its a pussycat. There is no muzzle rise and that I attribute mainly to the MagNa-Porting. I have no clear recollection of its noise when hunting. It certainly is not ear-splitting. With a shorter barrel I suspect that wouldn't be true. A MagNa-Port is the least expensive solution to your problem. If recoil itself (the rearward impact) is a problem, then the port won't help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My impression is the magna port takes all the upward movement out of the gun and directs it stright back into the shoulder....

I like the KDF types, and yes they make noise, but guns make noise and with or without a brake they will ruin your hearing, I living proof of that. I suffered severe loss of hearing long before this era of brakes come about...they tame recoil, they stop movement, end of story.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Guys the well known KDF style brake is really effective on recoil caused by gas pressure. They can do little to affect any part of the recoil that is caused by bullet weight. That is a given. a 500 gr. bullet is a 500 gr. bullet no matter what direction I make the gas go. Muzzle brakes bleed off, redirect the direction of gas flow to an angle , usually 90 degrees to the axis of the bore after the bullet has left the muzzle & Is in free flight going through the brake. I laugh at the so called "Quite" brakes. If you have to use a decibel meter to decern any noise level reduction thats not quite in my book. I believe the inreased bang! has more to do with the expanding gasses hitting the ground in front of you then bouncing back up at you. Shoot a gun with a muzzle brake from up in a tree stand 15 or 20 feet off the ground & you'll see what I mean.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-12-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harald:

...I have no clear recollection of its noise when hunting.

You're still dazed?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<mnmark>
posted
Thanks for the replies.

The "straight-back" recoil doesn't really bother me that much, I've gotten used to it since i've been shooting it and I wear a PAST shoulder pad as well from the bench. It's the muzzle jump that I don't like about it. Just wanted to clear that up.

Keep the replies coming.

-mnmark

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
MNMark, You will be pleased with the performance of Magna-porting. I have a Sako in .416 Rem that has been Magna-ported. It eliminates most of the muzzle jump, yet any increase in noise and muzzle blast is minimal if any as opposed to a muzzle break. Muzzle breaks work great for shooting off a bench with hearing protection, but they have no place in the field (IMHO). They're just too loud --your ears will ring for a week.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
1894, I totally serious! In Namibia I shot twice prone with my .340 Wby and never had any sensation either of recoil or of noise. I had a dim awareness that there was a noise when the gun fired, but I was so focused on the animal that it just didn't register. And no, I wasn't either so dazed or deaf that the shattering recoil and report failed to reach my consciousness. It really isn't bad at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
338 RUM that I mainly shoot from a bench......That is a lot of cartridge for a bench rest rifle!! Buy a 6mm PPC or something more suited to the task! : )
Seriously, Brakes work. They also make everyone on the line hate you. You have a hunting rifle there. Sight it in and go hunting. In a hunting situation the recoil is of less importance.
On the other hand, I would never own a rifle with a brake. To me a it is all about hitting the animal in a vital spot with a good bullet. Fireballs, and muzzle blast that singes the grass and kicks up dust storm are not conducive to doing that. You can't scare them to death. I prefer an accurate shootable rifle that I have confidnce in hitting my target with. If you are wanting a Brake to tame the beast you should select a caliber that is less punishing. You will then HIT the spot you want more reliability. Purple shoulders and facial ticks indicate you may have a problem! : ))

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 11-17-2001).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<mnmark>
posted
Scot-
It is not a muzzle brake that I particularly want. I'll go with any method that will "tame" the muzzle jump. I just get tired of repositioning the rifle after each shot.
My best group to date is 5/8" (5shot-100 yard) with handloads, which I find to be acceptable.
"That is a lot of cartridge for a bench rest rifle!! Buy a 6mm PPC or something more suited to the task!" As far as that statement goes, I find nothing pleasing about shooting a rifle that was designed to shoot small groups (one-hole groups), and then load some rounds, go out, and shoot small groups with it. I prefer to work on a rifle, a load, and shoot sub-moa groups from a rifle that never was designed to do such a thing; to me, that's fun! But, it's whatever bursts your bubble. I've never judged others on what they find entertaining, and never will.

-mnmark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle jump occurs to the point of least resistant, meaning the recoil finds your weak spot. I would suggest raising your rifle rest or lowering your seating position. I didn't believe this until an old timer proved it to me, an easy example is with a handgun, I always thought a pistol torqued right or left due to the rifling....wrong. Shoot the gun with your right hand and then with your left hand the muzzle will jump towards your open part of your hand were the least resistance is.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote