New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a scout mount.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a sporter Krag that I'd like to scope. The receiver hasn't been D&T so I'd like to keep it that way. So I've been thinking scout mount, and I found Kraghaus scope mounts. My problem is I don't know if I can clean up the rear sight holes to be used. My rifle has a rib soldered on the barrel and I don't know the condition of anything under it. I've installed a Rice peep sight to the bolt and removed the buckhorn sight. Here is a pic of what I'm working with.

I've even thought of having a scope base modified to fit the rib. What would be my best option?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one of the prettiest Krags that gets to go hunting instead of collecting dust.
Just be careful.

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Best option would be to leave it as is. As there is nothing that you can do that will not require some sort of modification to the rifle. That said and knowing you still want a scope on it I have an unfinished mount for a Krag but it requires D/T the receiver. Other option is this Base

Or I (As well as a few others here) could build you a custom barrel mounted base with what ever style ring mount you would like. I suggest Talley rings just because they are very ubiquitous and look nice to boot. Although I could cut it for Leupold rings, it's actually more work to cut a base for the dual dove tail mounts then it is to use a Talley base.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Redfield/Leupold 94IER base with rings, the style with an auxiliary open barrel sight actually built into the base. It will require D&Ting your barrel or else machining the base for your existing rear sight mounting screws (not a big deal at all).

My Bride was about to list this on eBay but if you want it we can work something out, please PM me if interested.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott, thanks for the reply. I figured I would have to modify the rifle somehow. I just don't want to D&T the receiver. I'm hoping removing the rib will expose the old rear sight holes and I can clean them up to mount the Kraghaus base.

I'm looking for a Weaver style base so I can mount a scope in QRW style rings. That way I can still utilize the peep site if needed. I'm just thinking I'd like to get rid of that rib since it isn't serving any purpose anymore.

I just don't want to change the rifle too much. I found this rifle in a pawn shop and fell in love with it. I don't want to change it too much, since I like what the original guy who sporterized did to the rifle.

Phatman, thanks for the compliment on my rifle I really enjoy this one as well.

J.D. I think I'll pass on your base and rings for now, thank you for the offer. Nice looking setup just not what I have planed. I'd like something that the scope detaches a little easier.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Talley makes removable rings too. And there no where near as ugly as Weavers. Sorry man I can't stand Weavers and they just don't look good on any rifle that doesn't have a plastic stock. And even on those they don't look great.

If it's a money thing Modify a Leupold base and use their QC rings

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Talley makes removable rings too. And there no where near as ugly as Weavers. Sorry man I can't stand Weavers and they just don't look good on any rifle that doesn't have a plastic stock. And even on those they don't look great.

If it's a money thing Modify a Leupold base and use their QC rings

No it isn't a money thing, I've just had good luck with QRW style rings from Leupold and Warne. I've never checked out the Talley's, I'll give them a look. I've used one set of Leupold QR bases and rings and they worked well for the application.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally MUCH prefer the early Kimber lever rings, they are much sleeker-looking than the Warnes and especially the QRWs of any make. That Weaver-size rail doesn't lend itself to anything but a very boxy look, like The Hulk is sitting on top of the rifle(grin). Look at this:

The Kimber and also the Talley rings and dovetail bases are far more visually attractive than anything associated with a Weaver rail, and IMO your splendid Krag deserves the most attractive mount available to you.

The later Warne Premier rings are not as attractive and classic-looking as the early Kimbers although they are almost interchangeable.

This mounting system will, by actual field test, return to zero well within 1/2 MOA.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redfield once made a receiver sight the attached using existing screw holes on the left side of the Krag. I suggest that you track down one of those honeys and add a nice flat top front sight.
If you don't like it you can always sell the Redfield an proceed on with a scout. It leaves not change of any sort on the rifle other than the front sight of your choice.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a Krag. But I have shot a buddies a fair amount.

I really like the workmanship of a Krag...

IF I had THAT Krag, I would not change a thing.

If I had BAD eyes, and wanted to kill something with it I would put a blind within 20 yards of a feeder and be real still... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Redfield once made a receiver sight the attached using existing screw holes on the left side of the Krag. I suggest that you track down one of those honeys and add a nice flat top front sight.
If you don't like it you can always sell the Redfield an proceed on with a scout. It leaves not change of any sort on the rifle other than the front sight of your choice.

I've already added this Rice peep sight to the bolt.

I liked it because I don't have to remove the sight to remove the bolt from the action for cleaning. Any other peep sight that mounts to the receiver either has to be removed or raised high enough so you can swing the extractor to remove the bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would not be difficult to take a piece of bar stock and make a scope base. It would have a dovetail on the forward bottom (that would fit into the section currently holding your buckhorn sight). There would be a set screw on the top center of the dovetail for securing in place. The back end, closest to the receiver would have a longitudinal slot that would go down over both sides of the rib.
Each of the sides of the bottom/back of the scope base you would have set screws installed. These would secure it to the side of the rib. The design would be such that the top is parallel to the barrel and could be made to receive whatever type rings you want. I have done this and it works.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote