New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mauser Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think most of you already know my partner and I are making bottom metal now (www.bottommetal.com). I’ve received a request to make a run of bottom metal for the 1910/1936 Mexican Mauser (7.620†hole spacing) and wondered if how much demand is really out there for these particular models. All along, our idea was to build the parts and sell from inventory but we’re a little leery of getting in over our heads with a big production run and only a small demand. I’d really appreciate you letting me know if you’d be seriously interested in buying a set of high quality bottom metal for your Mexican Mauser.

Thanks.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take at least two sets. I have a couple of M48s that could benefit from nice bottom metal.

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in the works, I'd be interested.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I can use 3 of those.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much would you ask for the mexican bottom metal?

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I need bottom metal for mine!!!

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the Mex the same spacing as the Swedish ?? This could open even more doors ..... !!

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane...Mauser bottom metal at 7.625 mounting spacing may open some doors....will it work on any intermediate like the 48's etc.

Also, have you have any requests for Enfield...nobody making bottom metal for these.....could be 2 piece like Winchester or the original...there is a market for these....one bottom metal and options on the boxes 303, 30-06, 375, 404, 505....I'm good for 6 sets if you do it.

Sure others are interested.

Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much, I fugure we're almost at the point of a "go ahead"....Wwe'lll have to take a close look at Enfields also...such an array of boxes could be a "pain" seeya Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy at least one intermediate mauser one but would be greatley interested in a few enfields, especially if it had the integral box.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane--We've already talked about this, but you can put me down for two.By the way your check for the 98 goes out Monday.

Darrell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane...I would encourge you to look at Enfield...Wisner did this for a time and produced and oversized Mauser. What would work best is to take the 1917 Enfield or Model 30 straigthen triggerguard and up date with the Mauser bow and straddle floor plate. This will accept any box and you do not have to market the box however it's a good option. The reason for staying with the original profile is that there a thousands of the actions and rifles out there that could use the update. These actions are great for big bore builds....just need the bottom metal. For your consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgg_7:
Duane...I would encourge you to look at Enfield...Wisner did this for a time and produced and oversized Mauser. What would work best is to take the 1917 Enfield or Model 30 straigthen triggerguard and up date with the Mauser bow and straddle floor plate. This will accept any box and you do not have to market the box however it's a good option. The reason for staying with the original profile is that there a thousands of the actions and rifles out there that could use the update. These actions are great for big bore builds....just need the bottom metal. For your consideration.
Well...maybe so! You know, we really appreciate testing the wind so to speak....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you quote a price on the mexican yet?

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Enfields I intend making and would love some Duane Wiebe custom bottom metal!

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you folks know, the standard Mex has wider tangs than standard 98. The vertical dimension at the rear wall is also greater than the standard 98.

Now...seems to me that folks wanting to use a Mex Mauser are looking for something slim and trim.

If we made the box a the rear wall the same as a std. 98, the profile behind the rear guard screw would be more along the lines of the std. 98. It would also mean replacing the trigger for cleaner appearance (slimmer)

The one Mex I have has PLENTY of room for five down (7x57) in standard box config and can be easily slimmed down.

Okay...make the tangs narrower (by about .032), reduce the box height at the rear...what do you think?

posted Hide Post
Duane...1 set for me please. Thanks kevin.

Any man who is willing to trade his liberty for a few pieces of gold, deserves neither and will probably lose both.

posted Hide Post
Duane...while I got you, 2 P17 bottom metals if you ever decide to do this.(375 H&H or bigger)

Cheers Kevin.

Any man who is willing to trade his liberty for a few pieces of gold, deserves neither and will probably lose both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I'm at the Shilen Swap Meet. David Christman said he would go to the bank to borrow money for 3 Mex's.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
As you folks know, the standard Mex has wider tangs than standard 98. The vertical dimension at the rear wall is also greater than the standard 98.

Now...seems to me that folks wanting to use a Mex Mauser are looking for something slim and trim.

If we made the box a the rear wall the same as a std. 98, the profile behind the rear guard screw would be more along the lines of the std. 98. It would also mean replacing the trigger for cleaner appearance (slimmer)

The one Mex I have has PLENTY of room for five down (7x57) in standard box config and can be easily slimmed down.

Okay...make the tangs narrower (by about .032), reduce the box height at the rear...what do you think?

Mr Weibe

One small thing to consider. If you make it identical to the current Mex dimensions, it will allow upgrade/replacement on current guns. That and plastic (ouch). Changing the size will make it useful only for new custom guns, your primary market to be sure. I don't think the tang width will significantly influence how trim it can be made. The tang can be taken down on the edges, it would only take a brief run in the mill to narrow it down for those who desire.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the price....While a "specialized" run, we feel we can sell at the same price as the 06
1M Model

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't mean much to us whether we use original dimensions...Original it will be! We hope to have these available mid December.

We have lost of ideas and suggestions! I really mean it when I say "Thank you" for your input.

The next specialized run we're going to look seriously at the "Enfield gap". We're not too keen about making several different magazine boxes (we're still working on followers) So....Do any of you Enfield practioners feel like sending me an unaltered Enfield frame/trigger guard? I'd need it for about 10 days and will return it...promise! I want to work out a standard and pot belly config.

My address is CGRS 1111 157th St Ct E. Tacoma WA 98445...please call me before you send it (to avoid duplication) a t 253 535 0066 or (cell) 253 230 5599...all the best Duane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane....I'll get an unaltered P17 trigger guard out to you on Mon...Ron If someone else is committed to doing this pls let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Put me down for a Mexican bottom metal set. I was in Roger Ferrell's shop this morning and he told me about this post. I'm looking for a Mexican action for Roger to build a custom 7x57 for me in the style of the old British guns like the Rigbys and Hollands and the sort.

Thanks,

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me down for 2 in the original spec version.
Thanks,
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay...here's the deal....My engineer tells me to quit sipping scotch while on the internet! Seriously, the original tang width can be a big problem and we just can't justify the cost of a brand new program...But...we may be able to divide the run with a litte "creative engineering" Let you know...Duane

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would definitely be interested in metal for the three I have, commitment would be dependent on when they would be available (Hunting season and Christmas can reduce the number I can afford quite quickly!)

Thanks.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, What kind of time frame are you looking at to make a run of the Mexicans? Just a rough estimate. Nothing to hold you to.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Nothing to hold me to" is the best part. We plan to make the Mex Mausers the next run. Right now, we're about 2/3 thru the 3MX (Long mag pot belly). The first run took 4 months, this second run looks like about 6 weeks...trying to get it down to a different model per month.

We're going to try and "shoe horn " a very special run devoted to the Tom Burgess design.The concept was encouraged by gunmaker Winston Elrod..hope it works out since a royalty will be given to Mrs. Burgess.

On another note: We are making special Mauser guard screws. They are one size...enough thread for the front (cut them off) and oversize heads to countour the way you like.

We're using 4130 heat treated to 36 Rockwell with a shallow screw slot to line things up...then make the working slot to anything you want...around $6.00 a piece

We tried to enter into agreement with another company who only wanted less than $2.00 apiece, but were to be made from untreated leaded stock...trying to figure out..would they break first or bend first?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're going to try and "shoe horn " a very special run devoted to the Tom Burgess design.The concept was encouraged by gunmaker Winston Elrod..hope it works out since a royalty will be given to Mrs. Burgess.

That is great news! I am glad to see that Mrs. Burgess will get a cut. Which cartridges will Burgess's bottom metal be made for?

quote:
We are making special Mauser guard screws. They are one size...enough thread for the front (cut them off) and oversize heads to countour the way you like.

We're using 4130 heat treated to 36 Rockwell with a shallow screw slot to line things up...then make the working slot to anything you want...around $6.00 a piece

More great news. I have been wondering when someone would start producing high quality Mauser guard screws. I found two pairs of old Buehler guard screws several years ago and have been hoping to find more like them. I can't wait to order a couple pairs of yours.

When do you expect to make a run of standard depth long magnum and standard depth short magnum bottom-metal?

And one more question. Will your 3MX (Long mag pot belly) hold five down?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five down, except for the 404 Jeff...then four. Guard screws are at the heat treater right now...give it two weeks to be safe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CNC Specialty Products

We are taking orders for the Ted Blackburn Mexican Mauser bottom metal.
They will be ready to ship soon.
We will ship COD or Open account.

CNC Specialty Products
P.O. Box 369
50 East 100 North
Levan, UT 84639
Phone: 435-623-1388
Fax: 435-623-1828

Maggie Baum
CNC Specialty Products
P.O. Box 369 / 50 East 100 North
Levan, UT 84639
Phone: 801-691-8152
Email: maggie@cncspecialtyproducts.com
http://cncspecialtyproducts.com/

Posts: 102 | Location: www.cncspecialtyproducts.com | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
With all due respect lovebug, to post for a competing version of bottom metal on a thread started by Duane regarding bottom metal that he manufactures is tasteless and tacky.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I search for mexican mauser. I did not no what Duane started this post. I am sorry.

Maggie Baum
CNC Specialty Products
P.O. Box 369 / 50 East 100 North
Levan, UT 84639
Phone: 801-691-8152
Email: maggie@cncspecialtyproducts.com
http://cncspecialtyproducts.com/

Posts: 102 | Location: www.cncspecialtyproducts.com | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Duane, I am looking forward to receiving the bottom metal for my Mexican...thanks for keeping me on the list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between Mr. Blackburn's bottom metal and Mr. Wiebe's bottom metal (there has to be as Mr. Blackburn's shape is patented).

Competition between vendors is a good thing for all.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Clearly lovebug has poached Duane's thread and removing his posts is the only honorable thing for him to do.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
...there has to be as Mr. Blackburn's shape is patented.

What's the Patent number?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clearly lovebug has poached Duane's thread and removing his posts is the only honorable thing for him to do.

My apologies to lovebug:

Clearly lovebug has poached Duane's thread and removing her posts is the only honorable thing for her to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you could write a patent on the shape. It would be impossible to enforce.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote