THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone used Rifle's Inc. for a custom rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I took delivery on a LH Lighweight Mod 70 Stainless in .338 a couple of months ago. Just started developing loads so I'm not sure what my accuracy will be. However, I can say that they were professional and delivered what I ordered on time. Lex could not find a LH stainless magnum action, but I did - that was the only hickup and it did not delay delivery. I like the look, feel, and balance of the rifle. The trigger (mod 70) has a tiny little creep. I'll report after shooting some loads across the chrony.

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one made up by Lex about 5 years ago. It is a light 70 in 375 H&H, I had planned on making this my DGR and I began using it on most of my hunting to get used to it and be very familiar when the charge turns time into slow motion. The thing is it has now become my GOTO gun for almost all my hunting. I did get a 416 for bigger DG But I use that light well balanced 375 for everything, coyotes to largest plains game. All dealings with Lex were smooth as glass. I would highly reccomend him. He does very nice work. He is not cheap but very good. Some do the same or similar quality and charge 2-10 times the price. Good hunting

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the early '90s, while working, solo, in Forestry in various wilderness areas of western Canada, I decided that I needed a lighter .375H&H. So, I contacted Rifles, Inc. by letter and enquired as to the methods of obtaining a rifle from him.

Some time later, I received a hastily scrawled, very snotty note which stated that he didn't ...like making rifles for Canadians because it was too much hassle... I was rather surprised at this, but, I simply thought to myself, "well, asshole, don't come to B.C. to hunt Stone's Sheep with one of your rifles 'cause we don't tolerate attitude like that".

I wouldn't buy the finest rifle ever made for $2.00 from anyone with an attitude like that and it also reflects upon his gunsmithing abilities, IMO, in that real craftsmen tend to WANT their wares distributed everywhere, in my experience. I might add that this was back when it was still quite easy to import rifles from the USA into Canada and my initial enquiry was cordial and courteous. So, fugit, I spent the money on a Dakota, a better rifle, anyway.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience mirrors Kutenay's. I ordered a set of lightweight rings from Lex a couple of years ago. When I recieved them, the mounting holes were so crooked you could see it from across the room. Sure enough, they wouldn't point the scope anywhere near where the barrel was and when I enquired about it, very cordially I might add, I was treated so poorly I'll never have anything to do with him again. I even offered to purchase another set as I liked the concept, but once again, I have never conversed with a bigger jerk over the phone in my entire life.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just a Canadian thing, but my experience is similar to Chuck's!

I called to order a set of rings and asked about their lightweight M70 as I was planning a sheep rifle. The lady I spoke to asked what rifle and scope I was using with the rings, and adamantly told me it wouldn't work. She was wrong, and I politely told her I was sure it would work and tried to give her my ordering and payment information. I've never fought with a person on the phone like that before, to buy their product! I got them, they did fit and work fine but required a lot of lapping.

Apparently they wouldn't have wanted my business anyway, what with me being in Canada, but after their attitude I then contacted Bill Leeper to build that rifle. Several years and Leeper-built rifles later, I consider that one of the smartest decisions I've made.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote