Find
Notify
Tools

Source for economy rifle barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To all,

I have not been in the business long but I have a question about sources for rifle barrels.

Everyone knows where to get match quality barrels, shops like Lilja, Pac-Nor, Shilen, Hart and the like. But I am suprised how many customers come into my shop wanting to rebarrel their old hunting rifle but do not want to spend the money on a fine barrel.

Trueth is most of these customers would be plumb satisfied with a big game rifle that would average 1.5 moa.

My question is where do you guys get your economy barrels for those hunters wanting to get a new barrel but not spend +$200 for a barrel blank.

Any information or contacts would be great.

Thanks for your time!

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fiftydriver,

Check out the Brownells catalog for barrels. Shaw barrels and Adams/Bennett come to mind for the lower dollar end.

Good Luck

True Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought an Adams and Benett for 34.95 on sale, built a 270 with m98 action, might be the most accurate gun in the rack. I think they are about 85 now at midway. I would buy another in a heart beat if I was going to build a blued gun. If I was going to buy SS I would buy Montana Rifleman, about the lowest price out there of the good barrels and they shot plenty good.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the $50 barrels listed in Gun List? I am at work and don't have the paper in front of me but I believe the name starts with a "B". They are just blanks but for $50 bucks...
Jason Connerley

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunparts inc carries barrel blanks and some contoured barrels. Also some sporter barrels for mausers. All fairly reasonable.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The idea is not bad at all, and it really should be possible to get a cheap barrel to shoot well. I know that we are all guilty of wanting the best, but in reality less will probably do in most cases. Take the example of Cooper, I don't recall more than one or two negative comments about these rifles, and by far the overwhelming amount of comments are positive, and mostly associated tales of great accuracy right of the box. The Coopers currently use Wilson barrels (I think), i.e. the barrels Jack Belk described along the lines of "the best 10$ barrel on the market". So somehow, it must be possible to get a package together - even with a "lesser" barrel...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharps54
The "B" in gunlist you refer to is my old friend Les Bauska. Les has been making barrels since i947. He is presently 86 yrs young and still at it. His barrel blanks have straight bores, are button rifled and will make a good rifle. What you get is the unturned blank right out of the rifling machine. It has to be precision centered and turned concentric and then contoured to the shape you want. If you are able to do the machining his barrels are a best buy.

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G. D. Stockinger,
Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a try.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usta get my cheap barrels from a guy named Perrone outta Shotgun News. That was over ten years ago and I don't know if he's still around, but they were decent barrels for the money.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with E.R. Shaw barrels. For example the .300 Winchester barrel I have will give me 1/2 m.o.a. with a good load. The only problem it has is that it "walks" about a minute to the right after it heats. But that's not a big deal to me.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a new, takeoff, be about right? Lots of Rem and even Sav. takeoffs at many gunsmiths for under $50. Plus, it saves the blueing, chambering, crowning, etc. Just a thought, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dutch:
[QB]Wouldn't a new, takeoff, be about right? Lots of Rem and even Sav. takeoffs at many gunsmiths for under $50.

dutch
I am looking for some savage takeoffs. Who has them? thanks

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you'll fairly often see takeoff Rems for $40-50 on the gun auctions. Had one rethreaded to fit a Turk action, and it is a great rifle. I like stainless, because you don't have to reblue. Two-tone actually grows on you after while.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a post on here a few weeks ago about some place that sells take-offs from various factory rifles; can't remember now who they were. Anybody know?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
orland, give Sharp Shooter Supply a call(419 595 3179), or any of the barrel makers that install barrels (Pac-nor comes to mind). Savage Barrels end up at Ebay regularly, also.

Plus, try the classifieds at places such as Varminthunters.com. Prices range from $25 to $100, depending on countour and caliber (with something like a new 22/250 in varmint being the highest, and a 30-06 sporter being the lowest). HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
www.ebay.com
is a good place to buy take-off barrels cheaply

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Has Douglas stopped making barrels? I have had several, and they were acceptable for hunting accuracy, and not priced like platinum! As a matter of fact, one of my most accurate rifles is a 6mm/.284 with a Douglas Premium Grade barrel!!

Yep, they're still there, and blanks list for under $200.00. You can get one turned, threaded, chambered, and pretty much ready to install for under $250.00 in most contours, calibers, and sizes. There's nothing wrong with Douglas barrels.

[ 07-20-2003, 18:50: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Here!
Mark has quite a number of barrels listed. And, from what I can tell, is quite honest about giving the particulars.
Kailua Custom

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote