New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shilen or Douglas barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I'm planning to rebarrel my Rem.700 varmint cal 308W; here I've access to Shilen Match grade and Douglas XX stainless barrels. Which brand would you choose?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Shilen Match would get my vote out of those choices . archer

http://www.shilen.com/productsRifleBarrels.html

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd flip a coin...

Mr. Douglas made some of the finer barrels around but then he died and his wife took over. The "scrap barrels" of his production became "hunter barrels" for sale --like that... Lets make money. All this was before Mr. Shilen was in business. Maybe before he was born.

Mr. Shilen has made winning match barrels for several decades now. If you want a match gun, and he uses the "micro groove" system, it is a good option. Others as good? Probably but access for you??? (You could lurk at benchrest.com and read the opinions...)

As I understand, Douglas has a match grade series of barrels. If you need this level of accuracy, I think the "coin flip" is accurate. For all around hunting, I doubt if you can tell the difference if properly installed. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Shilen. I have 4 now and am in the process of getting another 3 ordered.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
All this was before Mr. Shilen was in business

Ed Shilen started hus busines in 1955.

I have two of their barrels on my customs.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Douglas does not own/operate Douglas Barrels for the owner, President is Mr. Tim Gardner. I only live some 10 miles or so from Douglas and know those folks quite well. They make fine barrels, if you like button formed barrels/rifling. Have shot Douglas, Shilen, Krieger, Hart and some others over the years and Douglas will hang with any of them accuracy wise. Do believe cut rifled barrels will give more life, but have not seen any advantage accuracy wise. Douglas barrels are offered in really one grade other than a double XX barrel is air gauged and one is not. It is a simple step to check the internals of the barrel's dimensions, but does nothing for making the barrel more or less accurate. I think you pay a bit more for an air gauged one, but same steel, same button used, etc., charge is for the fellow to go back to the room and run the air gauge up the bore and read the gauge and say, yep it is in spec. As for a lady in the business it is Kay, Mr. Gardner's sister, nice lady and she handles all the incoming orders and shipping chores.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iiranger, what is a micro groove? Shilen makes barrels in 4, 6, and 8 grooves for most calibers. They also offer ratchet[4R] and polygonal lands and grooves. Ed is still very much involved in the company. The rimfire barrels are the cats meow at the present time in rimfire competition.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
+1 for the shilen barrels.... 3 and counting here...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Shilen. The last few Douglas' I've used were so rough on the outside I should have charged an extra hours labor for my time.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several different Shilen barrels over the years and I have never see one that did not shoot very good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flip a coin! Both good manufacturers.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't go wrong with a Shilen. The last few Douglas' I've used were so rough on the outside I should have charged an extra hours labor for my time.

They used to charge $10 extra for a ground finish and believe me, it was worth every penny.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shilen without a doubt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have known Tim Gardner for many years. Have used their barrels and like them. Have used a Shilen or two. Their match barrels are good.

There was a thread recently which showed a picture of a Shilen barrel in which the surface of the lands showed marks from manufacturing. See: http://forums.accuratereloadin...891080611#7891080611 ... I'd not have been pleased if I got one of those!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote