New
Find
Notify
Tools

cock on opening vs on closing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the benefits, or why would it desirable to convert a old military rifle to a cock on opening?

I have an old swede that could use a new trigger and a different safety and they sell these kits that include a trigger and a conversion to "cock on opening" and I was just wonder why that is better?

also if it says Carl Gustuv 1907 on the reciever, which model swede is it? M93, 96??

Thanks

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a 96.
I happen to have a Chilean 1895 which is also cock on closing and I put a Timney trigger in it with no problems.
If you want a 98 cock on opening, buy it, but the 96 Swedes as is without major modifications are a fine gun.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com
Timneys are in stock.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I would agree that there isn't a lot of need to convert. Cycling the bolt is a different motion that you should practice to get comfortable if you're going to hunt with the gun but outside of target shooting I think the cock-on-closing is fine. For another trigger option: I put a Bold trigger on my Husqvarna Model 46 (same action)and am happy with it.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote