New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X mauser??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well after reading a bagillion pages on mauser's using the search function I have a simple(?) question or two.

I have acquired 4 mark x mausers. I now have read they are not that great(compared to?). I however seem to be liking them. I would like to make them into "utility style" hunting rifles. Meaning I want them to feed/extract/eject as well as they can, and be bedded into a stock correctly. They all have the adjustable trigger that was standard.

Who would do it? About what $$ to do it? And what modifications would you do to make them "bullet proof", reliable rifles? They are all in great shape.

1 Whitworth .375, 1 alaskan(?) .375, one alaskan(?) .300 win, 1 .270 win.

Thanks for your help.

SC

Posts: 28 | Location: Southern Cal | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Compared to today's incarnation of the same rifle, the Rem 798, the older In the bow release Mark X's are both a real bargain, and a much better product. Considering your stated purpose, these actions will suffice.

Hard to put a price on the feeding, eject, extract part without actually having the rifles in hand to see how they currently perform and what if anything may be wrong. But, given that they used the same action (with mods), for all the cartridges you mentioned, I'd suspect given my past experiences with these that the magnum versions will need the most attention and most of that will be focused on proper feeding.

How's that for a run on sentance?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StoneCold:
I have acquired 4 mark x mausers. I now have read they are not that great(compared to?).

Most of the negative crap written about the Zastava built Mark X Mauser action is garbage. Usually written by snobs. They're a good, solid, utilitarian action with plenty of readily available parts. The largest case I ever modified the action to handle was for a pair of .338/378 KT's. They're still going strong some 20+ years later. I've built them into almost every caliber from 475 Ackley Mag on down. thumb

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the negative crap written about the Zastava built Mark X Mauser action is garbage. Usually written by snobs. They're a good, solid, utilitarian action with plenty of readily available parts.

lol Snob might be just a touch harsh. I agree with Westpac for a hunting rifle the early MKX bow release action is a great starting point. I've lost count how many I've used. However, if I was going to go high $$$ custom I would start with another mauser action. Not because the MKX is a bad action just that it doesn't carry the resale value.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My markX is bulletproof from the day I picked it up (more than a few years ago). Action is smooth and never had a problem with it. I originally bought it as a doner action but then I screwed up and shot it. Its my meat in the pot rifle, it always works.

I try to buy them whenever the money is there. Havent built a magnum on one yet though.

This was last week.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
lol Snob might be just a touch harsh. Not because the MKX is a bad action just that it doesn't carry the resale value.

See StoneCold, there's one now! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r,

Are there any mods you would do to the originals? I read alot about replacing triggers with a more simple/stout set up. Also, replacing the safety at the same time to a winchester style 2 or 3 position?

SC

Posts: 28 | Location: Southern Cal | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Snob might be just a touch harsh. Not because the MKX is a bad action just that it doesn't carry the resale value.

See StoneCold, there's one now!

Ouch that hurt. Frowner You sure have me confused with soneone else. Eeker I have built and currently own many rifles made on the MKX. If my kids decide they don't like the MKX when I can no longer use them they will be SOL.

What I love to do is pick up some of those nice MKXs that people have spent a lot of money on only to find out the "market" won't allow them to get close to what they have in it.

Since I can't see me building a high $$$ custom not using a MKX will not be an issue. Wink

As Joel said I'm always in the market and pick them up when the price is right.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Snob might be just a touch harsh. Not because the MKX is a bad action just that it doesn't carry the resale value.

See StoneCold, there's one now!

Ouch that hurt. Frowner You sure have me confused with soneone else. Eeker

I apologize. I was just kidding. That's why I did the Big Grin thing.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any mods you would do to the originals? I read alot about replacing triggers with a more simple/stout set up

I've never had an issue with the MKX adjustable trigger. As long as you remember to adjust the safety screw after you adjust the sear and pull. The MKX non adjustable is about as stout as you can get. I don't mind the slide safety. I do alter mine to allow me to open the bolt while on safe like the later versions. I've used an adjustable MKX on two FNs with a swing safety I simply remove the slide safety. Jim Kobe makes a nice 2 position swing if that is what you are looking for. There are also several 3 position ones on the market and everyone has their favorite.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
apologize. I was just kidding. That's why I did the thing

No need to apologize I didn't take it as a serious dig towards me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, the MK X is a Zastava, thus does not carry the resale value of a FN action, that's all the "problem" is about!

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
For all-around fun, I really like the Mark X actions. The last one I had was in "6.5x60 S&H belted Mag". Yeh, I know that's weird, but that IS what we called it.

A friend bought out a gunshop in Globe, AZ. In the mish-mash of stuff under benches, in boxes, etc., was a NICE barrel in 6.5x61 S&H. He gave it to me, gratis. Now, you guys all know that having a free barrel requires that you make it into a useable gun. So, I bought a Mark X barreled action in ,300 Mag and took off the .300 barrel.

My buddy Paul Marquart shortened the barrel about 1 m/m at the chamber end, then used a .264 Win Mag reamer to clean up the chamber to where we would be able to correctly size brass with a shortened RCBS .264 Win sizing die. I ground the bottom off the die to the correct length to match.

After screwing the barrel into the action, I put it in a Mauser sporter stock I had laying around, loaded some ammo, and took it to the range. It shot well for a hunting rifle, about MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards, sometimes a 1/4" bigger, sometimes a little smaller.

Fed just as well as it would have if the action had been built for that round specifically.

I used the rifle for about 10 years, then screwed the .300 barrel back on and used it as a trade on something I wanted worse at the time. Still have the 6.5 barrel...am now looking for another handy Mark X action with a magnum bolt face.....

There may be technically better actions out there, but the original Mark X actions were great for those of us who wanted to "tinker" at relatively low $ cost.

BTW....I think I have figured out how to get even with Floyd for giving me that barrel...he has a barn for his lion-hunting mule string...now, if I sent him a "free" HORSE.....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StoneCold:
z1r,

Are there any mods you would do to the originals? I read alot about replacing triggers with a more simple/stout set up. Also, replacing the safety at the same time to a winchester style 2 or 3 position?

SC

I don't personally like the side safeties and would replace them with a 3 position model 70 style safety or an original FN left side safety. The two position m70 style would be fine too. The only problem with eliminating the side safety is the gap that is left in the stock on the right side of the tang. No problem if you intended to restock but if you want to use the originals, well, then you're stuck with teh gap.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, basically it sounds to me that they are good as they are, and personal preference on the rest. So for a simpleton like myself, a "tune up" is about it and I am set?

SC

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Most things gun related are personal preference. However, flawless functionaing and absolute reliability are musts, especially when dealing with a .375 and the things you are likely to hunt with it.

Have them checked over by someone who really knows about feeding, give them a good physical exam, and enjoy.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I have 3 customs I built on Whitworth actions. I replaced the triggers with Timney deluxe's though you can tweak the originals just fine. I smoothed up the action with Fine valve grinding compound, lapped the lugs and did a little cleanup polishing on all other moving parts. All are built with Shilen barrels and are in 6.5x06, 35 Whelen Improved, and 375 H&H. The H&H wears a super piece of english, but the other 2 are in Fajen Classic style stock made from their Walnut dyed birch laminates.

I have taken 100's of game animals and fired 1000's of rounds at paper and never had an issue. I have a single shot in 6mm BR that goes in the .110's repeatedly if I do my part.

If I were doing one today I'd do the same things as above and use the Accurate Innovations stock.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mark X's are good, I have 3 now. To get one up to the standards of a commercial FN, square it up on a mill, polish and true the insides, and reblue. But they'll function the way they are, maybe adjust the trigger.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A number of high dollar custom's have been built on these actions...about the only problem I've found is that the firing pin nut is cast and harder than the hobs of hell....and they sometimes break!...yeah! break! Replace with a good M-98 nut and they will give yoeman service

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm going to show my ignorance and ask what is a 'firing pin nut'. Is this an inside joke I should understand or is it really a part I am not aware of.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think it would be the cocking piece.