New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle balance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this is kind of an individual preference, but where to you like to have the balance point on a hunting rifle for shooting offhand with a scope? In a mauser I've always used the front guard screw as my point.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Geez what a topic, break out the custard pies!

Anyway, it may not be scientific but my preference is to not have the rifle balance when I am shooting it, but have it balance in my hand when I am carrying it. AND... I find I need to carry it around for a little while before my hand decides where it likes to hold it.

I do find that if it balances well while carrying it seems to shoot well too, but since a rifle will spend a lot more time in my hands than on my shoulder this is how I rationalize it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've found that what works best for me is to have some weight forward. I shot a lot of rifle silhouette and found that weight forward helped the rifle settle nicely when shooting offhand. this is my approach even with so-called ultralights. Most factory light weight rifles have a pencil thin barrel at the muzzle yet they start out full sized at the chamber. The result is a rifle that moves when a butterfly passes by. I'll increase the muzzle diameter and start a much faster taper just over the chamber. Result is a barrel that will weigh the same yet puts more weight forward.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Geez what a topic, break out the custard pies!

Anyway, it may not be scientific but my preference is to not have the rifle balance when I am shooting it, but have it balance in my hand when I am carrying it. AND... I find I need to carry it around for a little while before my hand decides where it likes to hold it.

I do find that if it balances well while carrying it seems to shoot well too, but since a rifle will spend a lot more time in my hands than on my shoulder this is how I rationalize it.

I disagree. The whole purpose of carrying the rifle is to shoot it. It should be optimized for that purpose and everything else should follow that.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I've found that what works best for me is to have some weight forward.

I agree, you want what works when its time to pull the trigger and weight forward aids in steadying the muzzle. It also makes the rifle swing smoother on moving targets.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyway, it may not be scientific but my preference is to not have the rifle balance when I am shooting it, but have it balance in my hand when I am carrying it.

Not only is that statement not scientific, its beyond stupid. WTF? Maybe looking for first place when the "Darwin Awards" come out....or ?
As stated by TC1 and Howard, you want weight forward when the gun is to your shoulder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having it balance on the front action screw makes a bolt action balance very well for shooting and carrying.

It is very nice indeed if it does that with scope and without, with a full magazine of ammo. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, it may not be scientific but my preference is to not have the rifle balance when I am shooting it, but have it balance in my hand when I am carrying it.

Not only is that statement not scientific, its beyond stupid. WTF? Maybe looking for first place when the "Darwin Awards" come out....or ?
That's a bit harsh!
I agree with Mark. It's the scope that makes a rifle difficult to carry. Carry it by the grip in one hand all day or forward of the scope .... How about with a spotlight in the left hand? I cut my scope rail on my Lee Enfield so I could use the scope as a carry handle! That only works when the muzzle is heavy enough.

I have found that a longer barrel with a mini suppressor improves the balance to the point I can take standing shots when I used to only take resting shots - with my long barreled, light stocked 22lr. My hornet with it's slightly heavier steel suppressor is also much improved - and more comfortable to carry! (And less noisy!)

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:

I disagree. The whole purpose of carrying the rifle is to shoot it. It should be optimized for that purpose and everything else should follow that.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd264:

As stated by TC1 and Howard, you want weight forward when the gun is to your shoulder.

I'll address both quotes here since in my interpretation they are essentially saying the same thing.

The question here is about the balance of a hunting rifle, with a scope. We are not talking about trap guns, or quail guns, or target/silhouette rifles.

Unless you have a gun bearer walking next to you, waiting for you to put out your hand, or if you are sitting in a blind somewhere, you are going to have to be carrying your rifle in your hands. Sure you can use a sling but the gun isn't going to shoot itself riding on your back, it needs to be in your hands to do that.

Now thinking about your last hunt, how many hours did your rifle spend in your hands and compare that to how many seconds it was on your shoulder before you pulled the trigger.

In your situation was pointability a bigger component that fatigue? Or does one not get even the slightest bit tired after carrying a rifle for an indeterminate length of time, allowing them the leisure of holding until they can squeeze off the perfect shot?

Jimmy's Darwin Award notwithstanding, I'll go out on a limb and state that with all other factors being equal a rifle that is a delight to carry will give you better hunting success over a gun that "points perfectly" but makes your hands and arms sore 30 minutes into the hunt.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
The question here is about the balance of a hunting rifle, with a scope. We are not talking about trap guns, or quail guns, or target/silhouette rifles.

Unless you have a gun bearer walking next to you, waiting for you to put out your hand, or if you are sitting in a blind somewhere, you are going to have to be carrying your rifle in your hands. Sure you can use a sling but the gun isn't going to shoot itself riding on your back, it needs to be in your hands to do that.

Now thinking about your last hunt, how many hours did your rifle spend in your hands and compare that to how many seconds it was on your shoulder before you pulled the trigger.

In your situation was pointability a bigger component that fatigue? Or does one not get even the slightest bit tired after carrying a rifle for an indeterminate length of time, allowing them the leisure of holding until they can squeeze off the perfect shot?

Jimmy's Darwin Award notwithstanding, I'll go out on a limb and state that with all other factors being equal a rifle that is a delight to carry will give you better hunting success over a gun that "points perfectly" but makes your hands and arms sore 30 minutes into the hunt.

Your argument doesn't hold water because the rifle can be on your shoulder on a sling the majority of the time until ready to shoot.

All that being said I fail to see how a rifle balanced for optimum shooting will be unbalanced for carrying. Muzzle heavy is only slightly muzzle heavy the the balance point of the rifle should not be in front of the front action screw.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
A banned buddy of mine says, "In my copious amount of free time I've been designing a new rifle. It folds twice to make it short and handy and it has two slings and a soft rubber stock so you can wear it like a back pack. Doesn't shoot for shit...but it carries really nice! Smiler"

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, I guess that for 50+ years I have been misinformed, I thought those sling studs were for attaching a sling in order to carry my guns. What the hell is the gun industry thingking anyway.