Find
Notify
Tools

First Checkering Lines
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Finally got one laid out without crossing any lines. The inside of the grip was pretty tough with this one and some diamonds got warped and some got mashed up in soft spots but overall it's not bad.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Why use such a difficult pattern when beeing a beginner ? And now you maybe noticed that high detailed checkering patterns need very hard and high quality wood too.... Wink

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
Why use such a difficult pattern when beeing a beginner ? And now you maybe noticed that high detailed checkering patterns need very hard and high quality wood too.... Wink

I'm more motivated to do a good job when it's tougher. That and I think I may learn more by challenging myself and forcing myself to make mistakes and learn from them (while practicing). Once I start checkering "real" finished stocks, I will use less difficult patterns and the stocks themselves will have much less extreme contours, so I will be taking it easier on myself.

I haven't yet checkered any English walnut so we'll see about that next. The pieces I have are much denser than the claro walnut I've been practicing on.

I did do an easier grip panel on the other side of that practice blank before attempting the one you see above.

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm more motivated to do a good job when it's tougher.

Ok, my motivation is at it´s best when the results are as good as possible. But everybody has his own way.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
So I assume your advice would be to scale back and master simple patterns before moving up?

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Well, hopefully this is an improvement.

I still have to deepen all of the lines and lay them out on the other side, but I'm happy to see the pattern looking "right" on this stock (at least to my eyes).

Indeed the less complicated patterns make it easier to do better work. Almost finished wood (claro walnut in this case) is much better too, although I had to deal with the spacing tool getting clogged up often.

I won't keep this thread going any longer, but thank you all for the tips and advice. It is much appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good progress. I can see the improvement in your work quality.

I am getting inspired by your venture! I want to do the same on my Mannlicher Schoenauer project - ..... one day!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote