New
Find
Notify
Tools

Length of Pull
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this has been asked before but, how is length of pull measured?Thanks, Mike

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a firearm it's the distance from center of trigger to center rear of buttstock.

On you it's whatever length of stock makes a longarm shoot where you look.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arock, What exactly are you referring to when you say, "on the longarm makes it shoot where you look?" [Confused] Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longarm =long gun =rifle or shotgun
shortarm=short gun=pistol or revolver

I think thats what he means [Confused]

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that I have everyone sufficiently confused let me try again. What I want to know is how I find MY length of pull? Ya know, when that quail flys directly overhead right to left competing for the aviation speed record, and you fling your gun up and by the luck of Allah, you fold it cleanly. Then yer hunting buddy says, " Nice shot! That new gun looks like it fits you okay." That is the kind of length of pull/fit that I'm talking about.

one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FourTails:
I know this has been asked before but, how is length of pull measured?Thanks, Mike

Mike,

As a general rule it is determined on the gun from the end of the recoil pad to the trigger. On you, it is measured roughly from the crook of your elbow to the position near your index finger's first knuckle. Shotgunners "pull" the trigger different than rifleman, generally. It should be measured by a "shotgun specializing gunsmith or stock-maker."

You almost can never see proper fit, but a "shotgun spcializing gunsmith of stock-maker" usually can. You can after a while with a well-fitted gun, see/feel it.

Check these sites for more info:

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/pull.htm

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h_fea_02_fitting_shotgun_F&HN.html

http://www.caller2.com/hunting/shottip.htm

Hope that Helps,

Dave

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tailgunner:
""shortarm=short gun=pistol or revolver""

Is that the same SHORT ARM as in military short arm inspection? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arock, What exactly are you referring to when you say, "on the longarm makes it shoot where you look?" [Confused] Mike

Pardon the tardy response. My intent is to say that "length of pull" is a measurable specification on a longarm (rifle or shotgun) but a functional distance on the shooter.

To a shooter "correct length of pull" when coupled with other stock specs like cast and drop at the heel are what determine the ability of a longarm to "shoot where you look" or put another way shoot to natural point of aim.

I'm not a stock fitter but I have some guns with stocks fitted to me. A stock that fits YOU simply makes accurate shooting easier and more comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that I have everyone sufficiently confused let me try again. What I want to know is how I find MY length of pull? Ya know, when that quail flys directly overhead right to left competing for the aviation speed record, and you fling your gun up and by the luck of Allah, you fold it cleanly. Then yer hunting buddy says, " Nice shot! That new gun looks like it fits you okay." That is the kind of length of pull/fit that I'm talking about.

Gotta find a stock fitter and take your shotgun (or rifle) for "fitting". A stock fitter will, after watching you mount the gun to your shoulder several times, make adjustments by lengthening or shortening the stock at the butt, bending the stock at the neck with hot oil, adding/removing weight etc. This takes several tries over weeks/months. The idea in the end is to get a gun that moves to your shoulder with as little effort as possible and comes to rest pointing exactly where your eyes are looking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the information. Michael Murphy's is only about 45 minutes from here and they said they could do it for about $175.00. Maybe the price of getting the gun to fit me will offset the second shot on birds. Mike