THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ball" type sling swivel studs..........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was studying pictures of some different custom rifles and I noticed a set of "ball" type sling swivel on a D'Arcy Echols Winchester. It was in the "Winchester" book by R.L. Wilson page 365. Does anyone know where these can be bought?
I really like the clean trim look of them, as do the clean trim lines of the entire rifle and would like to install them on a current project. Any help would be appreciated...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the old Pachmeyer flush swivels that had a 'T' the fit in a slot and turned a half turn to lock. They are really smooth ooking but haven't seen any in years. I had a 270 Mannlicher Schoenauer that Pachmeyer had installed a Griffin & Howe side mount and the flush swivels. The mount base was welded on and then the whole rifle was mat blued. Really nice work.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Djpaintles
What you are refering to are made by Uncle Mike. They are the only ones I will use they are great !

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj,
If you are talking about the round ball with the hole through it, they are no longer for sale anywhere. They were common on some of the old English stalking rifles.

I have been making them for use on my custom rifles. Mine are a bit smaller than the ones you see.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The ball types used to be available from Dixie Gun Works, I have one left from years ago. If you are talking about the British type that had one on the barrel for a sling with a hook on it instead of a swivel. I also got a couple from the old Cape Outfitters don't know if the guy that bought them has any left. I first saw them on a 404 Jeffery barrel that came from the Game Dept of Kenya.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj,
Mine have a small ball that sits on a tapered skirt that is like a truncated cone. I will find a photo for you. Not hard to make.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I was studying pictures of some different custom rifles and I noticed a set of "ball" type sling swivel on a D'Arcy Echols Winchester....

DJ,
I have that type sling swivel stud on a rifle that was built about 3 years ago. Next time I speak with the stockmaker I'll see if he knows a source for them.

In the meantime I scanned a couple of pages from the 2003 Recknagel catalog. I don't think these are exactly the same, but may be OK.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj,
Below is a rough one of mine. The bottom skirt needs to be tapered down a bit and the surface smoothed up.

Chic Worthing

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I just use the standard Michaels studs & turn them on my lathe to the contour that Chic is showing. I ground a tool to make the cut in one pass. In & out & its done. Big Grin sofa
I either blue them or I flame color them.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, you are more sophisticated. I use a few files.

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, Are yours reshaped Uncle Mikes also? That's exactly what I want them to look like, thanks to all................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj, yes they are. Very easy to do. You can chuck them in a drill press and shape them.

Chic Worthing

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Chic I ground a profile tool so they will all be exactly the same.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic...I remember that photo of the swivels...still wonderfu!! Arthur

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote