New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powdered Bone Black
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone tryed Powdered Bone Black when filling grain on a stock?

I have a couple older stocks that look like something black was used in the pores and grain. Kind of a antigue look to it. Looks good.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about trying it on a cheap english blank to improve the contrast, but I don't exactly know how to go about it.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen , It says ya mix it in with your spar or whatever your using to soak/seal. Im quesing it isnt a stain that absorbs into the wood fiber so when you sand back down to the wood surface its gone except in the grain/pores of the wood and your wood stays the natural color.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a gallon can of marine spar varnish that Maurice Ottmar used to fill pores. It had bakelite in it. The liquid is very dark and the filled pores are also dark. I brush it on, let it dry for a week and use scrapers to remove it down to the wood.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where do you get bakelite? What is it?

I looked it up in the dictionary and says :

Leo Hendrikn Baekeland descovered it. A trade mark applied to a synthetic resin. Its uses are similar to those of hard rubberand celluloid.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakelite was used extensively in electrical devices. It is non-conducting, hard, and durable. Bakelite

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote