Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy Duty Magazine Spring
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Anyone know where I can get a heavy duty magazine spring for a M 70 Safari Express?

Thanks

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 springs are tempered and can be adapted well for the M70.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
Remington 700 springs are tempered and can be adapted well for the M70.

Jaywalker

Thanks, any spring for a particular model?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
You might try Wisner's

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't know. The info came from a conversation with Mark Penrod, gunsmith, who uses them to replace M70 magazine springs.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Anyone know where I can get a heavy duty magazine spring for a M 70 Safari Express?

Thanks

Jim,

You may have already posted a reason and I missed or forgot; but, what was the reason for a heavier than factory mag spring in your Winchester?

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's carries heavier magazine springs.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Remington mag springs in several Winchesters. The standard magnum M700 spring just takes a few licks with a fine file to make it fit a M70. Basically, each end needs to be a little narrower to fit the follower and floor plate. You could also use a Dremel I suppose.

But...I never had a problem with the original weak feeling Win spring, it just makes me feel better to have the heavier spring.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may have already posted a reason and I missed or forgot; but, what was the reason for a heavier than factory mag spring in your Winchester?

I have found that a stronger spring makes for more reliable feeding with heavy 416 Rem Mags.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this mag spring from Brownells on all of my model 70's of magnum variety. It works fantastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannabilized a spring out of an FN Mauser I have just to test things out, and it improved the feeding in my 375 - lots better even super fast bolt work - as fast as I could operate it. I didn't try it upside down or sideways.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote