Find
Notify
Tools

26" barrel cut to 24"
 Login/Join

posted
I have a custom 7 mm stw.

It now has a 26" tube.

I like the handeling properties of shorter barrels.

What consequences will occur if I were to have this barrel cut down to 24"? (other than the barrel is shorter) I realize I will loose some velocity but how much?

Thanks in advance,
Montana

Is this a wise move?

Posts: 14 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 14 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Somewhere between 75 and 150 fps, ususally around 100. A little louder too. On the one hand it defeats the purpose of that caliber's intent but in the field it really doesn't matter to the animnals that get hit by it.

If it really makes the rifle more enjoyable for you then I would do it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever its worth, Remington originally introduced the 7mm magnum model 700’s with 24 inch barrels.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The 7mm STW really needs a 26" bbl. in order to pay its own way. A 7mm Rem. Mag., however, does very well with a 24" bbl., which is the length I prefer for that cartridge.

But with an STW, I'd stick with 26"........

AD

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
i hunted for about 20 years mainly with a 20" barreled .270 Win. Now, everybody says that's way too short for a .270. But it worked fine for me....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd leave it 26, much as I don't like long barrels, the STW's and Ultramags probably should have the longer barrels. If nothing else it keeps you from being disapointed about the little difference over a chrono between them and the std magnums Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input guys.

I have come to the conclusion to leave it as is.

I guess I can live with the longer barrel.

Posts: 14 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 14 June 2004Reply With Quote