Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22LR Chamber/barrel wall thickness
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me what would be the min. chamber/barrel wall thickness for a 22 LR. I'm trying to plan out a new project

Posts: 8 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 25 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Probably thinner than you could work with. I think it was Hatcher that turned the barrel of a 30-06 Springfield to right at a 1/16" wall over the chamber. This barrel still withstood normal match load firings and was not damaged untill a 75,000 psi proof load was fired.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While certianly not recomended the 3/8" dia. liners for renewing shot out .22's are suficient by themselves. I'd feel a lot safer with at lest 1/2" though! Look at the new composite barrels (w/ liner) and the wall thickness on some small (cheap) revolvers. However the chief issue is stiffness rather than safety, unless of course accuracy isn't a concern.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote