Notify
Tools

Incredibly Common Mauser Book
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

This link: Mauser History

leads to an ebay auction for a book published in Germany in 1938. At the time tis post was written I was only aware of six copies known to exist in the world; three in rare book collections in US University libraries, one in a rare book collection in Great Britain, this book offered for sale, and one other copy in private hands in the US.

This copy on auction is in very good shape.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool, you'll have to show it to me sometime Wink I hope you don't get bid up real high.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Michael tracked down six copies! Good hunting! Big Grin
Sorry, don't mean to be a wise ass, but whenever someone starts using the word rare, especially in an auction on eBay, I really have to laugh a bit. No offense, lawndart...just my sarcastic sense of humor! Looks like a great book, and would really like to have a chance to thumb through it.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=940621...t%26y%3D22%26x%3D103

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hijack

Lawndart

Are you making any parts with all of that machinery that you purchased last year (lathe and milling machine)?

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is not as rare as they say? Keeps getting cheaper too!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that Michael did find five more copies. That plus the six that I was aware of brings the total to eleven.

The reason that there are comparitively few left is that in post WW-II Germany it was a capital offense to possess this book. People were indeed executed for possessing it.

Those books listed at the bottom of the thread are not the same title Wes.

It appears that the present day price ranges from $350.00 to about $650.00 USD.

I am not a book seller, nor am I generally a collector. I received a link to this auction, and posted it here under the impression that one or more Mauser fans might be interested in the book.

The copies of this book that reside in the United States - all but one are in University Rare Book collections. That is where I came up with my obviously ill informed and naive impression that the book was rare. I appreciate your laughing at me congomike; it was certainly a rookie mistake.

BTW, you cannot laugh at someone, and then say "no offense meant". It is one or the other.

It is a moot point right now, but to the best of my knowledge, the only copy of this book in private hands in the US at present is resting in my safe. I purchased it with the idea of making digital copies, translating it into English for those who might be interested; and then donating it to the NRA or William Cody collections.

Fortunately it seems to be quite common. Anyone who plunks down a few $$ can have their own copy.

I'm probably off base on this point as well, but I found ths book to be a fascinating look into a place, time and endeavor that is gone forever.

LD

PS If there are one or two out there that might be interested in a museum quality digital copy, or an English translation in a few years, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again for setting me straight congomike.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

PM sent.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the book looked real cool when you first posted the link. But I don't read German or have the extra cash around. But if you can get an English version reprinted and sell it for typical book prices then I would buy one. Looks like a really cool piece of history to me! Smiler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lawndart...I am glad you understand that I meant NO disrespect to you...was just poking a little fun....and I to would be interested in a copy if you decide to do them. Again, I am sorry if I offended you in anyway.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before this thread disappears into antiquity... Smiler

I was wondering about what else might be floating around out there?

Is anyone aware of other period texts, notes, plans etc... from the Mauser factory? I would imagine most went up in flames at the end of the last war?

It would certainly be interesting to read the words and look at the diagrams written by those who were actually there.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago in the basement of one the out buildings at Mauser they found photographic plates of everything made at Mauser. I believe that the only war damage was to the power plant. If you read the history of the Mauser plant after the war you will see where most thing went.

There have been several Mauser books (in German) written before the war, all are hard to come by.

From the plates at the Mauser factory.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting choice of action for that one.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I read on one site, some where that Jon Speed will come out with an updated edtion of his book about the Mauser , and it will contain previously unknown and unpublished documents from Mauser in Oberndorf.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I'd also be interested in a digital copy at closer to normal book prices.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote