Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Here's one disassembled:

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm fabbing one now, using an old FN bolt sleeve with the rest being bench-made. Somewhat of a PITA but it may be worth it in the end.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks familiar. Cool

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ralf Martini is just receiving both my Brno 22H rifles, he will install a Wisner and a LaPour 3-pos. safety on these and they accept the Mauser 98 models. He also is doing my Brno ZG-47 in factory 9.3x62 and these require a replacement Mauser cocking piece, IIRC, and they then will accept the safeties as above.

I have a "benchmade" 2-pos. 70 style on one of my 22H rifles, made by a machinist and it works well, he used a 98 shroud and it looks good with the double flattop, but, overall, I prefer the Wisner style 3.pos. to any other.

It will be worth the hassle, no finer production sporting action has ever been made and one can build a "mountain rifle" on these that is superior to any other for serious backpack hunting in alpine regions.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Interarms Mark X bolt shroud could be adapted to take that safety lever, thus allowing one to make a stock for them without having to cut an ugly hole for the trigger safety.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try it on a mini Mauser

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
Ralf Martini is just receiving both my Brno 22H rifles, he will install a Wisner and a LaPour 3-pos. safety on these and they accept the Mauser 98 models.

Are you interested in getting rid of the stock safeties then?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'v never liked this set up...but every M-21 that comes into the shop, I send the unit back and it's sold by the owner almost immediately...So....SOMEBODY must like them.

When mounting the rifle. i's sooo....natural to flip off the M--70 type safety and be ready to "go" when the butt is at your shoulder.

The three position is great for routine maintenance/disassmbly...not so easy with the M-21...but different strokes...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first 21 in 1965 and traded it off within two years due to my dislike of that safety. The bolt is not locked and will come open when the rifle is slung on your shoulder and the owner of Vancouver's oldest gunshp has told me of guy's losing their bolts in the snow due to this.

I very firmly believe in having all of your safties exactly the same and when I first discovered Jim Wisner, I literally "jumped for joy" and I now have 3-pos. safeties put on all of my bolt rifles, except my Mannlicher-Schoenauer, of course.

Many guys modified these Brnos and Husquvarna HVA rifles here in BC back in the day. Most preferred them to heavier rifles such as Mod. 70s and there are lots of them around, but, most show honest use. The bluing wears like no other I know of, the metalwork is superior to much "custom" work I have seen and, with a decent trigger and synthetic stock, I wish Micky would do the "Hunter Compact Edge" for Mausers, you can make on hell of a mountain rifle.

I cannot say on the safety, I am about a year behind in sending this work to Ralf and I need to speak with him before making any committments concerning parts, etc. If, you wish, send me a PM and give me your contact info. and I can advise you on this when I know.

I have a fairly minty 21H that I may strip so I will have two perfect actions to have a pair of custom rifles built. I will sell the whole thing in parts and I have a few other 21/22 parts as well, I think. But, it could take months as Ralf is always so busy.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had a great appreciation for both the Brno and the FN safeties. When I shoot, my thumb is on the left side of the action, and these safeties allow perfectly for it. Cool

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@ Dewey:

You are not quite right. The earlier production lines of that safety closed the bolt in the Safe position !

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22WRF- I bought one of my first synthetic stocks from Brent Clifton well over 20 years ago and he has been out of the business since the early '90s, atg least. I got to know Brent fairly well and often spoke with him by phone, the last time in '94-'95, IIRC.

His stocks used the Dakota 76 Classic profile, which fits me very well and I like, but, they were very stout and too heavy for anything under a .338WM. I would love to find one of his "dropmag" versions to put on my Browning Safari .458WM with the dropmag. I bought from Duane, as I have all the new parts, except irons to have Ralf finsih it, but, I doubt that any can now be found.

Heaven....could be, I have examined literally scores of Brnos, some as old as 1946 vintage and have never seen a "smallring" with a bolt locking safety that was factory, but, there seem to be lots of variations. I have a later "roundbolt", but, unlike some I have seen photos of, mine does not have the ZG-47 safety, but, has the one shown in thr above photo, hence my desire to change it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I wonder if the Interarms Mark X bolt shroud could be adapted to take that safety lever, thus allowing one to make a stock for them without having to cut an ugly hole for the trigger safety.

here is a VZ-24 with one!

http://www.gunsamerica.com/972...Z24_Custom_7X57.htm#