THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between Sprinfield 03 and A03???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
I want to buy some warne QD rings and bases for my 30-06 but which one I must buy??? 03 or A03??
Which is the difference???
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Lorenzo--

THe '03 had open sights mounted to the barrel.

The '03-A3 and A-4 had a dovetail on the rear bridge for a peep sight.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
JBelk,
Thank you very much, mine is a custom I bought some time ago (2nd hand), the barrel is a Douglas. Any indication in the action to give me an idea??
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Lorenzo--

The 03-A3 has a BIG dovetail sitting on top of the rear bridge. The 03 doesn't.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Definetely mine is a 03
Hope is better than the other one [Smile]
LG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

I've just gone through a series of conflicting statements concerning the hazards of firing a 1903 if the serial number range denotes the single heat treatment receiver. The latest bad news I've received is that it may be OK to fire a LN under certain conditions, BUT NOT IF IT HAS BEEN DRILLED AND TAPPED FOR SCOPE MOUNTS. When I say conflicting, I mean it....from the same people in some cases. Maybe Mr. Belk could comment on this issue since his opinion is highly valued. Your 1903 may be in the double heat range and OK to fire. Best regards.

<JBelk>
posted
ANCONA---

There is NO low number receivers that're safe to shoot. Hatcher's Notebook is the accepted reference for these since General Hatcher investigated the blow-ups and reported it to Congress.

Those receivers failed on Army rifle ranges with reletively low pressure G.I. loads and NONE were drilled and tapped.

Low Number Springfield M-1903s are those from--

Springfield Arsenal serial numbers BELOW 800,000
and Rock Island Arsenal BELOW 285,507.

There isn't a rifle on earth worth an eye.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
ANCONA---

There is NO low number receivers that're safe to shoot. Hatcher's Notebook is the accepted reference for these since General Hatcher investigated the blow-ups and reported it to Congress.

Those receivers failed on Army rifle ranges with reletively low pressure G.I. loads and NONE were drilled and tapped.

Low Number Springfield M-1903s are those from--

Springfield Arsenal serial numbers BELOW 800,000
and Rock Island Arsenal BELOW 285,507.

There isn't a rifle on earth worth an eye.

JBelk is right on with his comments. The CMP is currently selling low numberd 03's, and they have the firing pins clipped and are sold as wallhangers only and come with a statement that they are considered unsafe and should not be fired. Additionally the Serial number for the Springfields is 825,000 not 800,000

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The 03 and 03a3 have, the differences

03 03a3
milled parts stamped
barrel sight receiver sight
GOOD follower tincan stamped follower
only HI SN good ALL good enough to shoot
GOOD metal finish lots of mill marks
are slick actions can be slicked up

Jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
[B Additionally the Serial number for the Springfields is 825,000 not 800,000 [/b]

Every resource I have says 800,000.

"There is no known date when Springfield Armory converted entirely to the double heat treatment process. The change occurred between receivers number 750,000 and 780,000. It is known that receiver number 800,000, completed on February 20, 1918 and all subsequent receivers were double heat treated."

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote