Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel for 6.5 Arisaka
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone make a new barrel for a 6.5 Arisaka? That is a barrel for a type 38 Arisaka action that is chambered in 6.5 Arisaka.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not that I am aware of, however you can rebarrel by having someone knowlegble cut and re-thread a mauser bbl and ream to correct headspace. I have found that .308 win., 6.5-08, 243win., 257 rob., 7x57, all work well with this action. Make sure whoever does the work, understands the breeching system of the Arisaka. Bill

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, sorry I mis-read your post. Order a 6.5mm bbl blank from any barrel maker of your choice. Special order chambering reamer and gages for the 6.5 Arisaka cartirdge. Barrel blank can be machined to any configuration military or sporter then installed, It is understood that chamber reaming and headspacing is correctly done. Wishing you luck, Bill

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
DD
I know SSK has the reamer for this chambering.

As I remember it several of the reamer rental outfits have the reamer also. If you are just trying to clean up the bad chambering, the 260 or 6.5X257 will clean up the chamber. As an asside, has anyone out there ever seen one of thes guns without an oversize chamber?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it was mine, I wouldn't mess with it. It belongs to a friend who has hunted with it for many years and won't use anything else. He says the sling cost more than the rifle and scope combined, but he loves the thing. The bore is badly pitted so a new barrel is needed and he won't hear of any cartridge except 6.5 Jap. I seem to recall reading that the threading on the barrel/action is odd. I believe they said it was either tapered or variable pitch. So, I was hoping that there was something ready made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it helps, the barrel thread configuration for the Type 38 Arisaka is 14 V TPI. From the diagram I have here, the major thread diameter is 1.020".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can rebarrel the arisaka T-38 and have done many in .257 ackley and .257 roberts and 6.5 roberts they are a pain to rebarrel do to the unique breech it's a cross between the Remington (junk) and the pre 64 M-70 (great rifle) anything larger than the 7 x 57 case will need some feed work but they are strong as hell. and i just talked to Timney yesterday regarding a problem with a Mauser trigger (and they were very receptive) and nice guys. they are making an Arisaka trigger that does not have a safety and are having some problems with is working correctly on all actions and they wanted to know my opinion about making them with a side safety to fix that problem. i said i had no problem with that just get them on the market so i can get some. so i guess in the near future i will be a test dummy for some new triggers.

Posts: 36 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 6.5 Arisaka, it has a rem 222 bbl on it rechambered to 22-250. not real pretty but shootss great. I aalso am waiting for a timney trigger, that would make it the perfect pickmup truck gun for the bean fields.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While on the subject; I have a arisake mod 30
(hook safety) that is converted to 6.5 Roberts.
Very little info on this rifle, any inputs?.
Thanks!
Take Care!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
If it helps, the barrel thread configuration for the Type 38 Arisaka is 14 V TPI. From the diagram I have here, the major thread diameter is 1.020".

Any valid information is useful <G>.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As others have said a new barrel can be chambered and contoured to match. There are numerous surplus 6.5 barrel listed on the sites such as Gunbroker. Even at a purchase price for the surplus of $25-50 you might get the same pitting problem plus adding the cost of installation he would probably be ahead getting a new barrel.

It sounds like he has used the rifle for years did the pitting just happen? I would just leave it alone if it will still shoot minute of deer groups.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a fellow on another forum had ER Shaw rebarrel an Arisaka. He had it chambered in 260 Rem. You might check with Shaw to see if they have the 6.5 Jap reamer.