Find
Notify
Tools

High Tech Stock vs RImrock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
I have a 700 BDL I would like to bed into either one of these ..for those that have used both and have the barrel channel free floated which has the stiffer foreend ? Thanks

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Semper, the Rimrock is stiffer. My thought is, however, if the barrel is floated, what's the big difference?

I love the Rimrock... for me there's none better. However, if the lightest weight is the goal the High Tech will be the answer.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've built rifles on both. I only own ones with the High Tech. The rimrock is a little stiffer but I prefer the weight of the High Tech. My barrels float and the lack of stiffness has never been a problem. It is plenty stiff for my normal use.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I like the shape of the Rimrock better, plus I like the fact that it is checkered.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rimrock is the only plastic stock that has a shape, the rest are bulky and have poor lines IMO....But to each his own...

Oh yeah, I wouldn't own a plastic stock or SS rifle, again my opine only...to each his own.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Rimrock as they fit and feel better to me. If light weight is the main criteria, then I would go with the High Tech. I have handled but not owned rifles with the High Tech stock and they just didn't feel right.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For you guys that have experience with both of these, how would you compare the grips on these. I had an opportunity to handle a Bansner stock at a show they attended, and liked the grip geometry. On the other hand (pun intended) a Rimrock which I could not compare side by side seemed quite a bit smaller in the grip. My hand, which is larger than most, but not huge, felt as though it was hanging off the grip on the Rimrock, whereas this was not the case with the Bansner. For comparison, I find the Brown's to be far to narrow in the grip for my tastes. Just wondering if y'all had any thoughts in comparing these two stocks in this specfic regard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbart2:
For you guys that have experience with both of these, how would you compare the grips on these. I had an opportunity to handle a Bansner stock at a show they attended, and liked the grip geometry. On the other hand (pun intended) a Rimrock which I could not compare side by side seemed quite a bit smaller in the grip. My hand, which is larger than most, but not huge, felt as though it was hanging off the grip on the Rimrock, whereas this was not the case with the Bansner. For comparison, I find the Brown's to be far to narrow in the grip for my tastes. Just wondering if y'all had any thoughts in comparing these two stocks in this specfic regard.

a Bansner High-Tech and a Borden Rimrock .....

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=333136&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=333135&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

I have a Brown Precision as well, and the Bansner's pistol grip is thicker and not as straight than the Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
freeminer,

Thanks for posting those pictures!

I think you can see in those pictures that the length of the grip is shorter for the Rimrock than for the Bansner.

How would you subjectively compare the two? Which do you like better overall.

That is a nice looking p-64 rifle in the works sitting in the Rimrock by the way. What is it chambered for if you don't mind

Regards,

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The grip is thinner and tighter on the Rimrock. While I use the Bansner because it's a touch lighter, for my hand I prefer the Rimrock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We do about 20 custom fiberglass stock jobs a year and have used almost every type out there. The Rimrock has the characteristics of a fine wood stock. It is well proportioned and the classic checkering feels as though it was cut into the fiberglass. There is nothing wrong with the others, the Rimrock makes into a rifle with more class.IMHO

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackbart

I like the tighter grip on the rimrock, but I am not used to the very thick comb and cheekpiece, which for me requires a tighter cheek-weld than I normally use.

probably the biggest difference ergonomically between the two, is that the High-Tech has a very straight comb, it even slopes upward 1/8" or so. The Rimrock has some drop to it and as a result, iron sights are completely usable. The upper rifle, a 338-06 does have iron sights, but they are strictly a backup, so the high comb is not an issue and is of course preferable with a scope.

The lower rifle in the Rimrock is a 375 H&H Bill Leeper put together for me. It is a ~1959 M70, with NECG sights and Talley bases which Bill fitted

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Freeminer, those are very nice rifles... Bill does GREAT work!