Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar Walther Barrels--#1500 Bavarian Classic
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I have not done business with this Copmany {http://www.lothar-walther.com/main.htm} before, but they have been very helpful. I am looking to have a barrel similar to the ones on my Mannlicher-Schonauer rifles. I especially like the barrel and contour on my 1952 30'06 [see below]. Has anyone used this contour, or seen this one used. I want your opinion on the barrel contour.

Dan

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

I cannot speak authoritatively about the Bavarian contour except to say that LW is a German company and if anyone can get the classic Bavarian contour right, it is them.

However, regarding their barrels generally, I can say this: Lothar Walther is first rate. I have had several of their barrels and they were all highly accurate, straight and with a glass smooth interior finish. Their manufacturing process is very high tech and their steels are German industrial products and apparently very high quality.

You will be very satisfied with an LW barrel. May I suggest also that you give Woody a call at the American plant in Cummins, Georgia. He is very busy, but very knowledgable as well and he might be able to give you more specific info on the Bavarian contour or place you in contact with someone who can address your specific concern.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isnt this the barrel company S&W uses in there Performance Center model handguns?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky enough to spend three days in the last week, sort of a "shop rat", with a Trinidad trained gunsmith who builds target rifles, Palma among them.

Today I took the 6.5x55 LW barrel for Project #3 with me.

I think this guy favors Krieger, but he doesn't like their 12 week wait.

He scoped the LW--I'd never done this--and... his verdict was "Very Good."

flaco

BTW, today he was cutting flutes on a really heavy 338 Lapua barrel.

I took one look at the Lapua round and thought of jeffe and the boys.

(Although this might be a tad small for them. LOL.)

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isnt this the barrel company S&W uses in there Performance Center model handguns?

Yes, they make the S&W .500 barrels.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Jordan--

Woody is the one who has returned all of my e-mails trying to answer my sometimes mystic questions. I think this barrel contour is slick with the small reaer bell, but a very slow overall taper. IF it is even close to the Mannlicher barrel is look and accuracy I will never complain again in my life about a barrel. That Mannlicher can clover-leaf everytime if I could just hold still too.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Anyone else use one of these?

Is there any pictures of one?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
All i use is LW. They are Excellent barrels. you will be VERY satisfied.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote