Find
Notify
Tools

how to convert abrno fox 222 to 6x47mm?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I wonder if it is possible to convert an old fox in 222 rem to 6x47. or 6 mm norma benchrest please let me know.
Best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The Fox can be rebarrelled to 6x47 but that caliber is very near dead.....it's made from 222 Rem Mag brass which is very scarce and getting scarcer. The Fox magazine is too short to handle the longer cartridge too.

I'm not familiar with, nor can I find any reference to, a "6mm Norma Bench Rest" cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Danny

I had a Savage 24V rebored from .223 to 6x45 mm, cost was not so bad. Maybe the thing to do would be to have it rechambered first to .223 Ackley and then rebored, although it's doubtful whether it would save much money over getting a new barrel.

Tom

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Perhaps a 6x45 would be a better choice. The round should work through your current magazine.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
TomP
I am confused by your reply. If the desired result is a 6X47 or 6BR what would be the reason for rechambering to .223 Ackley first?
Danny-The 6BR would require a .473 bolt face which you do not have. Other than the magazine issue the 6X47 is doable. Winchester is producing 222 mag brass.