THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA 2x7x42 Big Cat Scope ? and BEC scope ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a Sportsman Guide hunting catalog and they had these listed. The BSA looks interesting as I'm looking for a brighter scope for my little BLR .358 which I use for bear. The rifle currently has a new model Leaupold 2x7 VII which is the right size, but the fine cross hair is hard to see late at night. The BEC make a model for the sks with a lighted crosshair, only 9" long. (Would this fit my BLR ?) Seems that I might have read a favorable report on the BSA in a gun rag but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me about them or should I just send my leaupold in and have them put in a heavy duplex, would this help in almost dark shooting conditions ? Any other options which doesn't cost an arm and a leg ? thanks.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a Marlin 882 22mag bolt rifle. I bought it for popping cats at night. All I can tell you is its a major piece of shit! The eye relief sucks and the sight picture is majorly distorted. The lighted reticle is okay for lining up on a set of cat-eyes at night though. I keep this rifle hidden when friends come over, don't want 'em laughing too hard.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with one bsa scope which co-worker bought because of the low price.I wouldn't even mount it on a 22.It is not clear at all and the point of impact wanders with changes in power.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I would look at having Leupold put either their heavy duplex reticle in, or...contact Premier Reticles and have them put their European 4 or 4a reticle in your Leupold scope. I've had it done, and love it.
The bec and bsa catseye (note small letters), junk. The only "good" BSA is the Platinum, and that is average.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of difference in their scopes between models. I have two of their platinum target scopes and shoot them in local competitive .22 benchrest matches (Anschutz and Kimber; heavy and light). They work flawlessly. The cheaper hunting scopes are not nearly as good.

There is no rule of thumb for bargain scopes. It's a matter of try and see.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As suggested, you are miles ahead by putting your money into a custom reticle for your Leupold. Or, as liquid as Leupolds are, pull it off the gun and sell it, then buy a new (or used) Leupold with the reticle you prefer.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

You could try the "crosshair illuminator" at the bottom of this page:
https://www.eabco.com/sale1004.html

I have one at home, but have not tried it yet, so I can't give you a thumbs up/down. You can get spare bulbs at Radio Shack....

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote