New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Mini Action
 Login/Join

posted
Guys:

I'd like to posit this question to you for discussion: I'd like to get one of the new Montana Mini actions, chambered for the .30 Remington cartridge. This is going top be my "lead bullet gun." The Montana Mini is expected to have, as one of the available bolt face sizes, a bolt configured for the new 6.8 Remington SPC, which is based on the .30 Rem. I like the .30 Rem for lead bullets in that the case size is moderate, it does not have a rim larger than the base dimensions, and the neck is long enough to hide all the lube grooves of a 180 grain bullet without protruding below the neck-case juncture.

So, that's the idea. What do you guys think?

William

Posts: 7 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Kimber 84M's in 308 Winchester. That Kimber action is smaller in diameter than most and the overall rifles are very light and neat to my eyes.

Here we have some cast bullet shooters in our club and the 308 Winchester is very popular for that. Others have gone to smaller cartridges like your talking about.

I never had a problem hunting with cast bullets seated in the 30-06 for instance which is another very flexible cartridge.

Having shot deer with cast bullets I can say that I would prefer a caliber larger than .30 also but they will work with the right bullet.

You might just take a look at a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 and use that cartridge. It will do just about everything that your describing. The flat nosed bullets that such rifles must use are an advantage at cast bullet ranges as well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have written Montana Rifles asking when and if the mini would be produced. I have also asked if it will be made with a bolt face to take the 6.8. I have received no reply from them. I have signed up for the initial production but have heard nothing from them on these or any other forums for a long time about their progress. Do you have any information.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a smaller case capacity cast 30 caliber round, I'd look at one that has a better selection of brass. I haven't looked at the montana mini to see what bolt dia's are available, but I'd imagine 223 based, 7.62X39 base and .308 base. I'd likely opt of a 30 BR, which is a .308 case shortened to 1.5", aka the remington 22, 6mm and 7mm br. High quality brass is available, and the case capacity is just about the right size for cast loads.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not get a CZ 527 and rebarrel, they come in 7.62x39 so the 6.8 SPC/30 Rem. should fit right in there.

I'm thinking I need a 527 carbine in 6.8 SPC for a backpack/mountain bike rifle for my backcountry hunts.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Guys: I'd like to posit this question to you for discussion: I'd like to get one of the new Montana Mini actions, chambered for the .30 Remington cartridge. This is going top be my "lead bullet gun." The Montana Mini is expected to have, as one of the available bolt face sizes, a bolt configured for the new 6.8 Remington SPC, which is based on the .30 Rem. I like the .30 Rem for lead bullets in that the case size is moderate, it does not have a rim larger than the base dimensions, and the neck is long enough to hide all the lube grooves of a 180 grain bullet without protruding below the neck-case juncture. So, that's the idea. What do you guys think? William

William, I think it would be a real fun rifle. shooting cast bullets is challenging, and the small capacity of the .30 Rem. should be an ideal cast-bullet case.