Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring Drop: From What Point?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Alvin Linden in his books measures drop from the line-of-sight. Using photographs and known barrel lengths, I have measured drop from the bore centerline on doubles to be about 2.0" to 2.25".

So, where is the drop usually measured from?

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Stockers, correct me if I'm wrong here. But for the most part is this dictated somewhat by the drop from the bore centerline at the comb nose first? Inevitibly drop is still measured by drop at the heal of the stock. But the drop at the comb nose dictates how dramatic that drop will appear eh?

-Mike

[ 08-08-2003, 17:33: Message edited by: alvinmack ]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Sounds right to me Mike.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drop at comb, heel, or any other point is properly measured from the centerline of the bore; doing it any other way would be comparing apples to oranges.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<SDH>
posted
Drop for doubles is always measured from the line of sight, shotguns by laying a straight edge on the top rib, rifles by laying it on the sights. Most center fire rifles have the drop calculated from the bore line. In the case of bolt action rifles, the drop at the comb is just enougth to clear the bolt when fully retracted as most are fitted with scopes and the highest comb possible is desired. The drop at the heel is what makes a rifle stock look "straight" or "dog leg" as this is where it is most visible the furthest from the action.

Personally, when building a custom rifle I always work from the line of sight as this is the most important consideration to me. And that is the most used sight if the rifle is to have a scope and iron sights. Some gunmakers believe it is not possible to built a proper stock for both types of sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Providing a rifle is bedded to centerline, one can take the stock and place the forend against a stright edge such as door frame and measure the distance from the wall to the comb and heel and you will be pretty close..Thats how I fit myself...and most around here do the same...but I only do that with my stock that fits me..I use that to recreate that same stock...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray;
That's pretty smart - I never thought off that one! [Smile] ..Now....do you have one up your sleeve for measuring cast off? [Big Grin]

Stocks nowadays seem straighter than they used to be, and I can't get my big ol' melon far enough to starboard anymore! My old FNs and HVAs look like a dogs hind leg, but they sure feel better...

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies.

To measure the drop on the doubles I have seen in photos, I use a clear plastic ruler and measure the barrel (if the length is given) using millimeters, a fine unit to divide by. Then I measure throught the centerline of the bore to the heel and draw a line down to it. I measure that line and multiply by my conversion and I have the drop of the stock at the heel.

So, anyone have a double and can measure the drop for me to see if I am on track? [Smile]

And cast off! I have read a poster stated it started at the rear tang screw, Linden said at the nose of the comb. So where or does it really matter that much as long as it is done properly?

Quyana, tanqerrciikamken.

[ 08-10-2003, 13:59: Message edited by: Nitroman ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well looking from the butt down the gun, you can eye-ball cast off...My pattern stocks have cast off to my specs, so I don't have to deal with it each time I make a stock..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitroman:
Alvin Linden in his books measures drop from the line-of-sight. Using photographs and known barrel lengths, I have measured drop from the bore centerline on doubles to be about 2.0" to 2.25".

So, where is the drop usually measured from?

I would guess that since Linden's books were instructional in nature, he described methods that would be easy for a beginner to accomplish. Running a string from front sight through rear sight and keeping it taut provided an easy straight line to measure both drop at comb and heel. Further in his shaping pamphlet he mentions with the advent of scope use, the method would be accomplished by using center of bore.

quote:
And cast off! I have read a poster stated it started at the rear tang screw, Linden said at the nose of the comb. So where or does it really matter that much as long as it is done properly?

A subtle difference would be the relation of the grip to the tang or butt. It's either included at beginning of the cast-off (from tang), or the castoff starts after the grip......which would still be in line with center of action. I checked my Linden, and it's castoff starts from the tang. The grip cap is aligned with the direction of the castoff.

-

BTW, for those who may be interested. I made a trip to Bryant, Wisconsin this summer and saw the remains of Linden's shop and also his grave marker at Bent Cemetary in Bryant. The shop had been converted to a cabin, and it has long since been abandoned.

GV

Linden buildings in 1933...
http://www.hunt101.com/img/055015.jpg

Linden buildings now...
http://www.hunt101.com/img/055018.jpg

Linden shop now...
http://www.hunt101.com/img/055016.jpg

Linden marker...
http://www.hunt101.com/img/055017.jpg

Alvin marker...
http://www.hunt101.com/img/055014.jpg

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
<SDH>
posted
Cast off is measured at the heel and toe of the stock, a quarter inch or three eighths being typical. I have a 4' long clear plastic measuring device with a centerline I can lay on the top of a double shotgun, or the top of a bolt rifle stock with the metal removed. Both the stock and the plastic device must be leveled. A plumb bob hangs off the end at the butt and the plumb bob is move over until it is at the center of the cast. The distance from the true center line can be meaured. Many shotgun stocks have more cast at the toe - toe out - for easier mounting. I build cast into most of my custom rifle stocks as well. It is easy when working from the blank to establish true center, the off-set the center for the amount of cast desired at the heel and toe.
By the way, the importance of cast is where the shooters face is located on the stock, or the eye aligning with the sights.

When taking drop measurement from photos, one must have a given barrel length to come up with a ratio to determine other measurements. Also the photo must show the gun in a very nearly true profile for accuate measuring. Again, working from the bore line is difficult and unneccisary. The line of sight is the most pertinent measurement for building a gun or for comparison.

[ 08-11-2003, 03:46: Message edited by: SDH ]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
So I take it the following are correct? I am just making sure.

My procedure will be to cut an outline of the stock I want to make, leaving lots of extra wood where I want to make any changes.
 -

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I take it the following are correct?

That's right-hand castoff.......if we're viewing the under side of the gun.

GV

[ 08-11-2003, 05:19: Message edited by: GrandView ]

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Top view, barrel sitting in channel.

<SDH>
posted
Wrong, that's cast-on for a lefty. Cast-off is away from a right-handed shooters face. Cast -on is towards a right-handed shooter's face and is appropriate for a lefty.
For the butt end views you need to establish the heel and toe. Cast usually includes both the heel and toe although the toe may have more.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
SDH,

Thank you Sir,

You have answered a long standing question of mine.