New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Action M700 Rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While considering re-barreling my LH CDL .243 to .260 Rem I began wondering if I could chamber it to 6.5x284. Any thoughts or experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks!

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
You could but you would have to seat bullets so deep that they would restrict powder capacity down to 260 levels, Especially bullets over 120 grn.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-.284 is a short action round...in theory, but as bluetick said, it doesn't work well in a short action if you want something other then a single shot. For it to reach it's potential it needs the bullet setted out to far to fit in the mag. Have you thought about the .260 Rem. A.I.? It comes close to the 6.5-.284......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LA7mm:
While considering re-barreling my LH CDL .243 to .260 Rem I began wondering if I could chamber it to 6.5x284. Any thoughts or experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks!

DO NOT USE A SHORT ACTION FOR A 6.5X284!! YOU WILL REGRET IT. I made this mistake by using a Sako M591 action. I was told it would work just fine. I learned very quickly it is NOT what to do. If you want a 6.5x284, use a long action. I paid a shitload of money for that first mistake, wound up converting that Sako to a 308 with an Obermeyer barrel. I now have a 6.5x284 with a Stiller Predator long action and a Bartlien barrel.

Trust me on this, don't use your action for the 6.5x284. The 260AI is a reasonable suggestion but the more I read about Ackley's "improvements" I don't think they really improved a thing, but that's just an opinion.

I'd recommend going with the 260 and 2 more inches of barrel. (24-25").

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I agree with Doc on the A.I. as far as a velocity increase. You will only see a 2 to 4 grain increase in capacity. I believe that the sharper shoulder aids in accuracy. The most dramatic example is the difference between a .22 Hornet and a "K"Hornet, night and day. The difference is the shoulder. All the bench cartridges have a sharp shoulder. Just a thought......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also have the magazine extended to about 3". That would give you a little more room than the standard 2.8".

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Tom, I've read about AIs being on the bench circuit as well. I didn't know the shoulder design aided in accuracy.

However, I do read from time to time about feeding problems with AI conversions. Do you think a 260AI is one of those that causes feeding issues or is it good to go on a hunting rig?

I pulled up about 3 articles yesterday about the 280AI since I'm considering a build as well and all 3 mentioned feeding problems.

That's why I ask.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. This is exactly the type of feedback I was interested in. Sounds like with this action the .260 is the way to go. I also have a MRC long action w/standard bolt face but would be more likely to go with a 6.5-06 if I use that as the basis.

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Vapodog may chime in here regarding the 6.5-06. I think he recommends the Gibbs. I don't know enough about it to tell you anything in that regard.

Having both of those, the 260 and the 6.5-06 is like having a 308 and a 30-06 (which I do). Nice to have but redundant. Cool

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all. This is exactly the type of feedback I was interested in. Sounds like with this action the .260 is the way to go. I also have a MRC long action w/standard bolt face but would be more likely to go with a 6.5-06 if I use that as the basis.

The MRC short action wil work because it has a 3.1" magazine box.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go 6.5X47 Lapua.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Tom, I've read about AIs being on the bench circuit as well. I didn't know the shoulder design aided in accuracy.

However, I do read from time to time about feeding problems with AI conversions. Do you think a 260AI is one of those that causes feeding issues or is it good to go on a hunting rig?

I pulled up about 3 articles yesterday about the 280AI since I'm considering a build as well and all 3 mentioned feeding problems.

That's why I ask.

There can be and often are problems with feeding of A.I. cases. Usually some polishing will solve the problem. The sharper shoulder needs a smooth ramp and sometimes a slight angle change to the ramp. A good polishing and rounding of the chamber entrance really helps. This willmost often fix the problem.,,,,,Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point, Doc... I didn't mean to suggest I'd do both but rather one or the other. Will also look into the other 6.5mm options. My main concerns are availability of brass for whichever cartridge I choose.

Thanks all!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good point, Doc... I didn't mean to suggest I'd do both but rather one or the other. Will also look into the other 6.5mm options. My main concerns are availability of brass for whichever cartridge I choose.

Thanks all!

Oh, sorry.

Here's a good option: build a nice 6.5x06 with the long action, buy 200 pieces of Lapua 30.06 brass, turn the necks .001 or whatever it takes for a good fit in your custom chamber, and watch what happens with your new rig and a good load with 130 or 140 grain bullets. Just my opinion but that would be my choice over the 260.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc... that's exactly what I've been thinking! Keep the .243 CDL intact (for now anyway) and use the MRC 1999 as the basis for a 6.5-06.

I have a decent chuck of walnut that needs to be turned into a stock. Any recommendations?

Thanks!