New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel marked CP?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a Barrel with stamp CP. The C above the P and the bottom of the C intersecting the top of the P. Its marked on top by the front ring.

Is this a barrel brand name ? Anyone know what?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Have a Barrel with stamp CP. The C above the P and the bottom of the C intersecting the top of the P. Its marked on top by the front ring.

Is this a barrel brand name ? Anyone know what?

Since you didn’t give much info on your barrel I will venture a guess that the “CP†is the inspectors proof mark???? Many of the older assemblers/inspectors at the factories used their initials as their mark.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rick 0311, This is a Sears Heritage Mark IV supreme marked on the barrel,rifle from the 60s or 70s. Nice condition,30-06, Santa barbara action,looks like a parker hale, nice wood on the stock.

I was trying to figure out who made it, Maybe parker hale?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea...was just making a guess as to the marking. Barrel manufactures normally don’t mark their barrels where it shows...if at all.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The London Proof House uses a "crown" over CP for a proof mark. From your description, however, I doubt that is relevant to your rifle. Here is a link to a picture of the British Proofmarks: proofs. Scroll down to the larger picture.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Glen. Thats what the stamp looks like except no crown.

So its a british proof and this rifle is probably a Parker Hale sold by Sears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. Parker Hale are in Birmingham, therefore it's most likly that their rifles were proofed at the local Birmingham Proof House.
They could have sent their rifles to to London, but why, when the local proof house is just across town?
If the rifle was prooved in England the action should also have proof marks, is it London stamped?

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Action is stamped spain on the reat tang(Santa barbara) and what look like 2 "F"s , 7,2 behind the lug on the bottom. 58 and * stamped on the bottom of the lug, serial starts with Z (Santa barbara action).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle had been made in England it would have either London or Birmingham proof marks on the action as well as the barrel.
Parker Hale did use Spanish, amongst other actions, however, I feel confident enough to state that if the rifle were assembled in Britain from disparate parts then the action would have been proofed there too.
I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
What do others think?
Comments gentlemen please.

I have been wrong before, my wife has told me so

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote