New
Find
Notify
Tools

What spacing for a vertical gun rack?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I need to get some guns up on a wall mounted rack so I am planning on building a couple of "shelves" to serve as a vertical gun rack. I'd like the spacing to be able to accommodate scoped bolt guns and shotguns. Will 3 1/2" centers work easily and safely (for protection from "safe rash") does anyone know? Can I go shorter? I have skinnier guns but I'd rather design the farm for the fattest cows instead of the skinniest.

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I went thru the same issue you're facing. I wanted to avoid bolt handle dings but just as importantly hoped to show the wood in the guns by rotating the stocks into a viewing plane somewhat near perpendicular to the eye. I found that 4 3/4" worked very well. You can go less, resulting in more guns per foot or greater allowing viewing flexibility however this turned out to be a great compromise. Good luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Safe is 3" centers and it is marginal.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
My Safe is 3" centers and it is marginal.

Mine too, I wish they were 4".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mine is 3" also

I alternate muzzle up....muzzle down to avoid hitting

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, four inches is plenty.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Mine is 3" also

I alternate muzzle up....muzzle down to avoid hitting

Ted that's a great idea I'll have to try that in my overcrowded safes.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have built several vertical racks for people and myself. If you only have shotguns, 3 to 3 1/2 works. For bolt guns 4" is a minimum. I also set them at an angle, approx. 15 - 20 degs., this allows the bolts to clear easily. Just be careful when placing and removing. I think they display better at an angle, as well. If you use 1 1/2 " spacer at the butt end this leaves a 2 1/2" space for the butt stock, which is adequate.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote