Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Fit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I have a Win 94 AE that I am converting to a 375 win. I got the barrel on and the chamber remarked but I forgot to realize that the old barrel had a difernt contour. Should I have my gunsmith turn down the new barrel to the same dimentions as the 30-30 barrel? Or would this take too much material off the barrel? Or, should I just buy the front and rear bands, new forend, etc.?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Weight the cost difference. Barrel bands are a hell of a lot cheaper than contouring and rebluing a barrel. Best to let your gunsmith help you with your decision. Can't he make the old forearm work?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard 94's are not designed for the 375 Win cartridge. The action is not strong enough. This is why they were only available in the big bore rifles that was reinforced. You could reload to 38-55 pressure and be safe. I would not shoot factory ammo or sell the rifle so marked 375 Win.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
Standard 94's are not designed for the 375 Win cartridge. The action is not strong enough. This is why they were only available in the big bore rifles that was reinforced. You could reload to 38-55 pressure and be safe. I would not shoot factory ammo or sell the rifle so marked 375 Win.
James

It is for this purpose that I already had the chambering taken off and replaced with 373BPE. I am having this gun nickel plated so the cost of rebluing should not be taken into account. Unfortunately, there is not much to take off of the forearm, it would need to be replaced if I don’t re-contour the barrel. I live out of town if it is not advisable to shave down a barrel that much it would save me some gas.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote