Find
Notify
Tools

Pac Met Heat Treating
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Pac Met no longer processes rifle receivers. I just talked to them.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Blanchard does; $100 for the first receiver or bolt. $25 after that. You must specify how hard you want them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, Blanchard does a great job.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have looked at their list of Heat Treatments offered and some of them I just can't decipher. Do they do case hardening if you know?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they call it gas carburizing. Same thing using modern terminology due to the type of equipment they use (controlled atmosphere furnaces).

These guys have the gear to heat treat most anything large or small.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
In my limited experience, Blanchard does a great job.

+1 tu2

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, case hardening is the same thing as gas carburizing; using a gas (usually carbon monoxide) to impart carbon into the steel instead of the old ways of a solid carbon containing material, like leather or charcoal.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
The mere fact that their clientele includes some of the giants in aviation/aerospace would indicate to me that they have their act together. Looking at their capabilities is a definite confirmation.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Yes, they call it gas carburizing. Same thing using modern terminology due to the type of equipment they use (controlled atmosphere furnaces).

These guys have the gear to heat treat most anything large or small.

Jeremy

Thanks. I knew what pack carburizing was but I didn't know if it did the same thing.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
On another note, I would imagine it would be necessary to know the hardness of the material to be re-hardened before you sent it.

Has anyone used one of the Poldi portable hardness testers or one of the older Detroit type to check hardness on a receiver?

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I had my M98 reheat treated by IIRC Pac Met. M98s were just a plain carbon steel like 1018 and carburized .I can't remember the questions but to me a metallurgist the were satisfactory .Mine had spotty hardness so the process would be to recarburize and reharden. So it made no difference in original hardness because it would be rehardened. Remember the original carbon 'case ' was thin.
Anyway it has worked all these years !! dancing
Did they say why they were giving up that process ?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First thing they do is completely anneal it; so it doesn't matter what it is now, it will be dead soft low carbon steel. Then they add carbon to the surface, and quench it; then draw it back to whatever hardness you specify. Normally RC35-40 or so And the case will be relatively thin, still leaving the core soft so the receiver won't crack or shatter.
Personally, I never have receivers heat treated. I test them and don't put magnums on those that are softer, like some 1909s, etc. Or use only vz24s which are always good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done some gas carburizing using my own M. Mouse technique. I placed the parts in a crucible and fed acetylene into it while cooking it at 1700 degrees for four hours. Seemed to work out well. I got a nice deep case. This was not a receiver, by the way. I liked pack carburizing better but some others in the shop were bugged by the smell of cooking bone meal. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote