New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about a set of these on a rifle, I was thinking a 2 piece set. I see lightwieghtts and reqular rings. Wieght doesn't really matter much to me just good mounts and rings that don't mess up.

Any comments? I have a real old set but its many decades old I'm afraid, and I haven't really seen any new ones.

Edit: I was figuring a low set for a 42mm scope max ( if even that big )

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lightweights are very light indeed. They are just like the ULA rings and the ones that came with the Colt Light rifle. I would use them for rifles short of the medium bore magnums.
The quick release rings are superbly made and extremely durable. I would reccommend them for any heavy recoiling rifle, rifles with secondary iron sites, and rifles you have a spare scope for. They are more expensive but IMHO worth it. My only real complaint about them is that they are going to leave ringmarks on just about every scope you use, they are very difficult to install without a pinch. If you move scopes from rifle to rifle they might not be the choice but if you want a scope on a gun and leave it there they are about the best made rings out there...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't thinking on detachable rings just set it up and leave it.

I am waffling around on cartridge choice at the moment, but it won't be any bigger than an 30-06 ( which is what my old set is on )

one of us
posted Hide Post
Schromf, As inexpensive as the 2pc lightweights are I don't think you can go too far wrong. You probably want lows, they will fit most 50mm scopes with normal contour barrels...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
You probably want lows, they will fit most 50mm scopes with normal contour barrels...........DJ

I second that (from first-hand experience.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any benefits to the lightweight? I was really thinking the steel set. The price is attractive on the lightweights though.

And if I had to I would by a scope to fit the low rings , I don't like high rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only put them on 700s and like them for the weight and no rust...but they set a bit for smaller objectives, imho.

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am to the point of using the lightweights on almost all my rifles. You have to be careful though as they really clamp down tight. I have a VXIII that had permanent marks from one.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry, I meant to say they set a bit high...

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote