New
Find
Notify
Tools

77-22 Hornet FIX????????????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 77-22 Ruger Hornet and contrary 2 what I here this one shoots about like most Hornets.I get 3/4 inch groups with 50 gr TNT.
I want 2 have it rechambered to K-Hornet and I here that there is A FIX ALL concerning the space between bolt halves.
Can any one help me on this.

United we Stand.

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Between myself and friends,we've built over a dozen K-Hornets on the 77/22 platform.

Exceptional results were yielded by punching a minimum headspace K-chamber,in the factory tube. Only one of those rifle employed the washer system,used to snug up the action halves and my pard that did it to his,stated no accuracy improvement.

On another Board several gents traveled the same path and all were rewarded with much improved accuracy and performance.

I dote on the 33gr V-Max and Win-296,tucked within R/P brass,but hear Lil' Gun is fabulous as well. When my supply of 296 is depleted,I'll try the Lil' Gun as a curiousity.

All food for thought...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask Jack Belk about the Ruger 77, he has done a study on them and it does not rate them well...which seems to be backed up by the exceptionally large number of used ones I see for sale in the Gunlist every two weeks....

I have no real experience with them as I only had one and it quit shooting about the time I sold it to Jack, or so he reported to me, and I have no reason to disbelieve him. It shot about an inch for me but I didn't shoot but about 5 groups with it....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The above post only APPLIES to the 22 HORNET...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MP/MD---

I emailed you the article I wrote in Varmint Hunter magazine (#22).......

I consider the Ruger 77/22H as unsuited for further work. Every one I've seen is too poorly made to waste time on and mis-designed from the get go. I've still never seen one that gives good results consistently.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MorePowder: I have a 77/22H which has been substantially reworked and rebarreled to K-Hornet. It shoots like a house afire, but I'm sure that the previous owner spent a bundle to get it to that point.

While I agree that the 77/22 could be better designed, I also suspect that rechambering (or better yet rebarreling) to K-hornet and making the headspace "squeaky" tight will improve the gun's performance. If the headspace is tight enough, there will be no need to shim the two halves to make them tighter -- you'll get the same effect from the tight headspace.

You'll still have the trigger to deal with.

By the way, if it's honestly shooting .75" groups at 100 yards, you already have an extremely accurate gun.

[ 03-03-2003, 20:58: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
MorePowder: I have a 77/22H which has been substantially reworked and rebarreled to K-Hornet. It shoots like a house afire, but I'm sure that the previous owner spent a bundle to get it to that point.

While I agree that the 77/22 could be better designed, I also suspect that rechambering (or better yet rebarreling) to K-hornet and making the headspace "squeaky" tight will improve the gun's performance. If the headspace is tight enough, there will be no need to shim the two halves to make them tighter -- you'll get the same effect from the tight headspace.

You'll still have the trigger to deal with.

By the way, if it's honestly shooting .75" groups at 100 yards, you already have an extremely accurate gun.

After getting my 77/22 VBZ to shoot, I decided to tackle a 77/22 VHZ. It isn't shooting under a MOA yet, but shows potential. The factory trigger is junk, and have installed a Moyer's in both of my 77/22s with excellent results.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Carlos>
posted
Just to join in on this and not to muddy the waters, I'd leave it as is. My VHZ groups .6 to .7 inch groups with the 33gr Vmax and 13.2 gr of Lil'gun or the 37gr Calhoon Dbl HP and 13gr Lil'gun.