New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scopemount for Dakota 76
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Warnes are good but rather poorly finished for such a nice rifle as a Dakota.

Burris make some very low Weaver rings which may be available as detachables. They will need lapping but they are very low.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
What detachable scopemount will suite the Dakota 76 most? What about Leupold QR mount? I have used this on several rifles before with good results. Original Dakota/Talley base is one this rifle now, but I find that base together with Talley QD rings to high for a Leupold XV-III 2.5-8x36!

Is the receiver front and back ring similar to Winchester? Pre or Post 70??

I used Leupold own "Mount selector" on their webpage and found Winchester Express pre 64 (serial nr. 50062) to fit my Dakota, see picture below. If I use the original drilled hole in the back ring receiver, this mount will extend over the loading port (which I do not like). Would it make any problem if I drill a new hole behind those two in the receiver, and use that and one of the old for this mount?? This will make a perfect fit for this mount.

Btw; Original hole spacing in back ring of a Dakota receiver is .435".

Sorry my English, please ask I you don't understand but what to help..

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Oooops.. This will not work. The bolt stopper level have a crosswise pin/spring seat in the area where I did like to drill a new hole.. And the front base was silver solder to the front ring due to lack of threads.

I will now fit a new pair of Warne Maxima base and ring, which I believe is stronger that the Talley system. And it will also allow a lower set up of the scope.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Tom - Talley makes low, medium, and high rings for their bases. Talley makes bases specifically for the Dakota action and I have not found a better ring/base combination for my 76 actions.

Here is their website - http://www.talleyrings.com/

I am sure they can export them to you and will most likely swap the rings for free.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Tom - Talley makes low, medium, and high rings for their bases. Talley makes bases specifically for the Dakota action and I have not found a better ring/base combination for my 76 actions.

Here is their website - http://www.talleyrings.com/

I am sure they can export them to you and will most likely swap the rings for free.

Zero Drift, personally I do not like the narrow footprint on the base that Talley make, I like the Weaver much better. From an engineer point of view the Weaver type bases and Warne Maxima rings is a lot stronger mount when it comes to both side force and recoil..

But thanks anyway.. We do have MidWay in Norway so normally there is not any problem with parts here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, according the Leupold fit guide in their 2004 product catalog, you'll need PN #50062 for the QR bases and they only come in matte finish. You can also use the QRW bases PN# 49836 which are also matte finished.

Good Luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have talley on my Dakota 97 and they are solid and clean looking setup. No complaints.

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote