New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno 21H buttplate
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
I have a near new Brno 21H with what looks to be the original buttplate. My gunsmith suggested that it is not, simply because it's about .05-.10" too short on the heal and toe ends, and slightly small on the edges. I don't have a picture, but I can describe the thing if that helps.
Any ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 BRNO's that are close to the same way. Both of my plates are just ever so slightly smaller than the wood. I believe it is original.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Sounds typical of the BRNOs that I've owned. I don't know if the buttplate resin shrank over time or if they were originally fitted that way.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are all like that. Look at the pic I have in the classifieds of the 22F. You can see that it just a hairline smaller than the wood.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more voice confirming that they are normally smaller than the wood. The first ones I saw were about 1952 and they were undersize then as well so I don't think shrinking is a factor. They fit them that way as far as I can tell. I have two 21H rifles currently and they are close to identical in the amount of proud wood at the butt and grip cap.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I believe something in the chemical makeup caused them to shrink over time. Most you find today are like that. ZG-47s too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
So, do you replace them? If so, who has a good replcement plate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most of us just leave them as is. I slip on a rubber pad any time such a rifle leaves the safe, to protect the butt.

If you fit a generic synthetic plate, you will have to heat it up to match the curve of the wood.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've replaced 2 with unmarked plastic take-off buttplates from Savage rifles. Curvature is identical. Sides have to be worked down. You can also use the undrilled buttplates from Brownnell's but they are hard as hell to bend to the proper curvature despite what Brownell's says.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Mine looks the same as your description.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
So then mine probably is original. It looks the same as the one in the picture.

<slancey>
posted
How high are those scope rings by the way? Does the bolt handle clear the scope?

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
How high are those scope rings by the way? Does the bolt handle clear the scope?

Those are low scope rings and I have plenty of clearance, but if you check out the handle you will see that it has been modified to clear a low scope. Also note that the stock has to be inletted to work with the low handle.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote