Find
Notify
Tools

MKX Feeding issue.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Hey I thought I would toss out my feeding issue as well. A search didn't turn me up anything. What I have is MKX action. A 400 Wildcat. Basically a straight walled 280 case .46 at the shoulder with a 411 bullet.

Because of the lack of taper a MKX will only hold 4 down. I opened the taper of the follower up a touch to match a magnum follower. I also removed what metal I could along the shoulder area of the box.

Using 300gr Hrdy flat point

Rds 1 $ 2 feed slick as you please. Never a failure.

No 3 will start forward and the tip will swing to the left of the chamber opening and jambs.

No4 will feed about 80% of the time it starts across but catches the chamber and then follows it in faster the better.

Looks to me I need to take some metal off the side of the feed rail and ramp to allow 3& 4 to slide straigher.

Thoughts??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Round 1 is probably using round 2 as a guide, and round 2 is probably using round 3 as a guide, if this is the case then round 3 will be on it's own, and round 4 will be relying on the follower as it's guide. If that is the case, then round 3 will probably need to emerge from under the rail a touch early. But without actually eyeballing it, then I would be reluctant to suggest a fix. Resolving feeding issues requires a delicate touch.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Round 1 is probably using round 2 as a guide,

I think I confused my explaination and numbered them backwards. When I load only 1 rd it feeds fine. When I load 2 rds they both feed fine.

It is when I load 3 in the magazine that the top round in the magazne on the right side will angle across and hit the far side of the chamber.

When I load 4 into the magazine the top round on the left will feed most of the time. the next rd angles across and hits.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
In that case... read my post backwards. Big Grin

Going back to an earlier thread, I said that if you widen a case from what the action was designed to house and feed, then you must relieve the area under the feed rails to accomodate the wider posture. It sounds like round 1 is following the guide rib of the follower, round 2 is just plain lucky, round 3 and 4 are probably prematurely emerging from beneath the rail due to the taper that is built into the action.

Again, without seeing it for myself, I can't comment on a fix. But if I did, my comment might include words like "machining" and "the area beneath" and perhaps "feed rails". Big Grin I would probably also include a ton of warnings.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well since Toomanytools is going to install sights and blue it I'll let him take care of the fedding as well. One thing less for me to mess up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K