New
Find
Notify
Tools

stockmakers vise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What vise do everyone use when building a gunstock.
I was thinking of a leg vise but wanted to ask first.

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I bought a “Pattern Maker’s Vise” from Midway a dozen years ago or so, but for some reason they discontinued it. Apparently the same vise is available here: Pattern Maker’s Vise

I modified mine by gluing leather pads to the jaws. I also milled a couple parallel flats on the bottom of the vise so I can clamp in in my Kurt vise for use with my Bridgeport.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a professional stock maker, but my favorite vise is the Reed 403 1/2.

Once I discoved these swivel jaw vises I replaced most of my vises with them. Reed, Prentiss, Parker all made the swivel jaw vises. I believe Dunlap recommended the Prentiss in his book.

They also made what I believe is called a coachmakers vise which has much taller jaws, but I have not been able to find one with a swivel jaw yet. This example is a Prentiss.

Tried the little cheap pattern makers vise that Midway sell, junk for all but the lightest work.

These old vises are readily available on e-bay if you spend some time looking. If you can find one that the buyer is not aware of the swivel jaw feature you can usually pick it up pretty cheap. The swivel jaw generally triples the price.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all for the suggestions.
I found this pic of a leg vise used at Fajen

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That's a cool vise. Here's a bench vise with wood/leather inserts. The butt is sitting on a mic stand with padded wood top

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to say it has been a while since I saw that bench and pair of feet...from the Fajen bench picture. Only two possibilities IMO.... Fred Wenig's home bench or Gene Coffey's home bench. My vote is Gene. Good stockmaker and friend. The basement background gives me that clue.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really sure of the picture origin or whose feet are in the picture obviously it worked well for them would it be worth trying to replicate this build. The screw is truned around backwards an the outside board floats on the screw. Or should I buy a Swivel vise. Looks like yost makes a nice one

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
versa vise
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/8561078942
IMO nothing better for stockmaking. Could be wrong. I use my soft jaws constantly. Just conveyor belt glued to sheet metal then hammered around the vise jaw.

IMG_4442 by JAMES ANDERSON, on Flickr

I have used the Kimball vise. Pretty slick, but you can't find them.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1849 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that leg vise wouldn't be too hard to make.

Mostly need the nuts and screw. Those are
available.

I mounted a "woodworkers vise" to my welding
table. Screw and side rod were too short.

Replaced them and now it'll screw out almost 2feet. Drilled half inch holes in the top to
hold wider work pieces. I do wood working
on there too sometimes.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5960 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the clamp vise at Fajen for 16 months. I took measurements to replicate the vise in my own shop. I found that I could be more versatile in my use of my space and my vise for checkering/stockmaking ( I have limited space to work in). I currently use a Palmgren 8" throw machinist vise. It does everything I wish to do. I clamp my checkering vise in it with the base unlocked so that I may move angles when I need to.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out with a vice of the type described by John Farner, but purchased from Woodcraft. It's a good vice, but IMO the jaw-retaining bolts need modifying, www.stewmac.com gives an insight into this.

Later on, I came by a bronze Emmert No2 Pattern Makers Vice, an Emmert No3 in cast iron, and two Kimball Gunstock Carving vices in one hit. Cost me a bomb, and they were imported in Oz so it cost me a whole lot more in freight. There are Emmert copies out there, but the examples I've seen and handled were junk in comparison. HNT Gordon in Oz make a nifty looking vice, but I've not yet handled it.

The Kimball vices I like very much. I'm in the middle of changing the way I am going to work over them. Recently I came across a stash of Myford ML8 wood lathes and parts. They have a good, hefty round steel bed that is electroless nickel plated. I've mounted the bed on two factory tail-end "pillows" and mounted the Kimball on the factory tool rest. The factory tool rest features a quick release to slide it up and down the bed, and is more than sturdy enough for stock making. That allows me to slide the vice along the bed, which is handy for me. With it being a long bed, I am going to mount a second tool rest block from the spares stash, and stick the Woodcraft vice on it. I'll be able to just shunt the vice not in use down one end of the bed and get the best of both worlds.

Once I get that final setup completed, I think I'll sell one or both of the Emmerts, and maybe the spare Kimball. Not enough space to use them all.

Another ML8 I've been using as a barrel polishing tug, to keep abrasive grit off bedways.

Posts: 106 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I just angle the vise enough to set one end of the stock on the bench.
Felt is 1.2" thick. Works well on uneven surfaces.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5175 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Keesey Kimball custom vise and I have a number of others.Keesey lived in Alpine, Texas was a gunsmith and had a beautiful family ranch and was a good friend of mine over the years. He was also a custom gun guild member..Made a number of these vices..I think Jim Brockman has some of those vices and was schooled by Keesey..The vise is quickly adjustable to about any position..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I use a Keesey Kimball custom vise and I have a number of others.Keesey lived in Alpine, Texas was a gunsmith and had a beautiful family ranch and was a good friend of mine over the years. He was also a custom gun guild member..Made a number of these vices..I think Jim Brockman has some of those vices and was schooled by Keesey..The vise is quickly adjustable to about any position..

Yep, the best.

Before you naysayers jump on the freight train these are pattern stocks, not the final products. One fiberglass and one hard maple.

That big 'ol Wilton in the background ain't bad.

Lots of extra wood in the cheekpiece to allow final shaping on the duplicated walnut stock. As Ray says, "Proud Flesh".

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
That's a cool vise. Here's a bench vise with wood/leather inserts. The butt is sitting on a mic stand with padded wood top

The bench is even cooler. Bet it has a lot of history in those scars and stains.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's George Beitzingers bench.

quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by richj:

The bench is even cooler. Bet it has a lot of history in those scars and stains.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's Keeseys vice, I got mine from Brockman who has or had more than a few of them at the time, may still have a couple..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote