THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Anyone have a "butt ugly" rifle to dispose of?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone have a "butt ugly" rifle to dispose of?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check pawn shops.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Check pawn shops."

Ditto. You might even find something really nice within your budget! Good luck!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It must be different here on the left coast. Big city pawn shops are all over the board on their pricing. Much of it is very high but, alot is low. One just needs to look. I don't know much about the pawn busines. I have been told it depends if the item is owned by the shop or by the individul and that can effect the pricing. I have bought some guns in Fresno pawn shops for way under market value. I have also seen some at ridiculious prices. Seemed like some shops are worse than others. I had my favorite shops, they were the ones where they didn't know about guns. That is where I got deals. It was just an idea, might be worth a look, maybe not, suit yourself.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walmart. They had Winchester Shadows in 7mm and 300WSM for less than $400.00 with a scope and they got lay-away. Deer season is getting near, check the classifieds in your local paper, cruise gun shops, most will take your name and call you if they get what you are looking for so they do not have to take it on a trade. Guys are going to be dumping their deer rifles for the newest model superthumpers. Now is the best time to buy small stuff (varmit guns) for that reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
H&R handi rifle ordered threw wal mart 188.00 just about any caliber you want 7mm08 280 308 30 06 will all do the job or maybe a 450 marlin or a 45 70 brand new in the box synthetic or wood and the gun is a joy to carry in the timber .

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
WalMart had the Savage rifles on sale for $250.00 and they are new. If they are ugly is up to you but they shoot very well.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Hey ASS_CLOWN, you are 100% correct on the pawn shop stuff. Most of the "knowledgeable" owners are overpriced, in my area anyway.

I love your moniker by the way!

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Check pawn shops

Good luck! Most Pawnbrokers worth their salt KNOW what a firearm is worth and they ask for it! Least that has been my experience with them.

Sorry I cannot help you, otherwise.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Dago, I just bought my daughter a Tikka T3, in 7mm08, my wife just got a Remington ADL .243, I hace a Savage FP10, .308. The Savage is just too heavy to tote up and down mountains. That's why I am trying to trade out of the Marlin, it's the only one I really don't have much use for.

WalMart has already gotten rid of any clearance guns, and the Weatherby Vangaurds as well as Savages are closer to $400. That's why I need to trade, so I can add a couple hundred, and save the rest for the hunt.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scot,

I have a coworker who's nephew sells and trades guns on the side for fun and small profit, anytime he comes to Kingsburg for a shoot he cruises the Fresno Pawn shops looking for things. He says that the prices are lower than down south so he can buy things and take them down there and make a profit.

To the original question, those are all good places to look. I am curious what guns you already have. For under 400 you could probably end up with a scoped Vanguard in 300 Weatherby, that would sure do the job for you.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a scoped Rem 700 in 30-06 that is surplus to my needs. It's in nice shape and ready to go hunting. Drop me a PM if that interests you.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote