New
Find
Notify
Tools

REmington bolt lock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I pciked up a "new" remington 375 HH done by the custom shop. It has an extremely thick bull barrel and has very fine porting slots. Bolt is jeweled. Custom recoil pad of some unkown make.
Anyway my question is about the bolt lock. It has the old style bolt lock. I know that I can get it replaced free to the new style. The question is do I need or want to. I dont have a problem with the old style but am wondering about safety issues.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I certainly would not want the J-lock. It is unnecessary, and an eyesore.

I recently spent $65.00 to get rid of the thing on a new Rem 700, by replacing the whole firing pin/lock assembly with a Gre-Tan unit.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also had the complete firing pin assembly replaced on a 700 action to get rid of the bolt lock.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
MM

Have a md7 with j lock, were did you get the parts or did you send it to a smith. I dont like the j lock either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Mike is referring to the old style Remington safety the "locks" the bolt down when it is on.......

The old safety can be easily converted to the new style by simply cutting the leg off the safety lever that locks the bolt.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I read it again after i posted, oops.

Still dont like the jlock

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsp:
I read it again after i posted, oops.

Still dont like the jlock

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

What do you REALLY think of it? [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
gsp - check Brownells for a replacement unit w/o the "J" lock - you can get blued or aluminum versions - I removed it as I feel it is not needed and I sure would not want it to fail in some fashion while using the rifle - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Just looked in my brownels, they dont list 1 for md7 need ss bolt shroud and probably coking piece.

While were on the subject of bolt shrouds.I have a Whitworth 375 I wont to change to a Gentry 3 position. Does the cocking piece have to be milled or filled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gsp

Yes there is some machining involved with the "Gentry" 3 position safety.

Regards, Augustis ><>

Posts: 114 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Smith

If we are on the same page.

Info concerning your bolt lock...

Regards, Augustis ><>

Remington Press Release

March 6,2002
Remington offers Safety Modification Program for Certain Pre-1982 Bolt action Firearms.
Madison , NC- Remington Arms Co. Inc., Americans oldest gunmaker, today announced a nationwide Safety Modification Program for certain Remington bolt-action centerfire firearms manufactured before March 1982, with a feature known as a bolt-lock. Prior to March 1982 various Remington bolt-actions centerfire firearms featured a traditional device known as a "bolt-lock," which was favored by many hunters as a way of preventing accidental lifting of the bolt in the field. The Safety Modification Program introduced today by Remington offers consumers the opportunity to have this bolt lock feature removed from certain of these older firearms, allowing the guns to be unloaded when the manual safety is kept in the "on" or "safe" position. No Remington firearms Manufactured after March 1982 has this bolt lock feature, and these more recent models are not affected by the current program. The Company has undertaken this program in part as a response to the tragic death of nine-year old Gus Barber of Belgrade, Montana, who was killed October of 2000 on a family hunting trip when a bolt -lock Model 700 rifle manufactured in the 1970's accidentally discharged while being unloaded. "The Barber family knows it has our deepest sympathy . Remington wants its customers to enjoy the shooting sports safely and we think this program is an appropriate way to help them do so," the company said today." It has been many years since this feature has been included in Remington firearms, and we believe this program will help educate our customers and allow them the opportunity to update their older Remington firearms." Included in this program are Remington model 700,600,660,721,722,40X, and certain XP-100 firearms manufactured before March 1982. Customers who participate will be charged $20.00 to have their guns cleaned and inspected by a qualified gunsmith and the bolt-lock feature removed. Each participating customer will also receive a transferable $20.00 rebate coupon, good towards the purchase of Remington safety products, such as eye and hearing protection, gun locks and gun safes. The Safety Modification program will be offered through December 31, 2002 The program is set forth in detail on Remington's website at www.remington.com. In addition, the attached notice describing the Safety Modification Program will appear in the April, May, and June issues of such prominent outdoor publications as Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Bugle, American Rifleman and Sports Afield. Remington has also established a special toll-free number for inquiries, at 877-387-6691 The First Remington rifle was manufactured more than 185 years ago, and throughout its long history, Remington has taken great care in designing and manufacturing high-quality firearms and ammunition, and in educating hunters and other sport enthusiasts in the safe use of those products. In this regard, we urge our customers to consult our website at www.remington.com, and to contact Remington if they have any questions about the safe use of any Remington Product.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
gsp,

I had it replaced by HD Rifles.

I had the bolt handle reinforced at the same time to prevent the possibility of it separating from the bolt.

MM

http://members.tripod.com/Hicksdesigns/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Augustis, Yes, that is what I am talking about. I personally dont see a need for it but that is just me. I knew the time limit was close but I guess it is not an issue now as the time has expired for the offer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Smith

Call them, I have it from good authority that the safety Modification program has been extended for life.

People always wait till the last minute to do some things, with a deadline it required people to get on the dime to return their rifles for repair...

I will verify this with one of my contacts at Remington tomorrow, if they say it has expired let me know?

Regards, Augustis ><>

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Smith

I came back to post this info concerning the extension of the "Safety Modification Program" because I said I would...

Not to start any debates ;o)

http://www.remington.com/Safety_Modification_Program/remington_safety.htm

Regards, Augustis ><>

one of us
posted Hide Post
Augustis, Thanks. I appreciate the help. Now I just have to decide to do it or not.

[ 01-14-2003, 09:50: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]