New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Mk V Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Back when I bought my Mk V Accumark in 300 Wby Mag you could buy a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith to lighten the trigger...well I procrastinated. Ernie no longer sells the Weatherby springs. My factory Mk V trigger was not that bad but it had a certain amount of creep and a little bump before it would release. Manageable but not ideal. I know Timiney makes a replacement but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Trigger tech recently made a replacement for the Mk V and Weatherby now includes a Trigger Tech trigger on its Mk V models. I called Weatherby and they will install one on your rifle for about $170. But he warned me its a 13 month backlog....ugh I bought one off the web--around $190 shipped from Optics PLanet. Its an easy install--two hex head screws after you have the action out of the stock. Torque specs are included. Pull is easily adjusted with hex screw on the bottom easily accessed from the triggerguard when the gun is assembled. Pull of the unit is from 1.5-4 pounds. The set screw is click adjustable in 1/8 ounce increments.... The Trigger tech model came up with a nifty solution to the creep you get on Weatherby triggers due to the bolt stop design.

Worth every penny. Clean crisp break adjusted to about 2.5# on my rifle...can't wait to get out and play with it some.

Just thought I'd share....I don't know if you can use this unit on a German or Japanese MK V. My gun is American Manufacture. I do know the Mk V trigger can be cleaned up. But not by me and I'd have to send it off and end up about the same money wise with shipping both ways to a good gunsmith. And as I said...Ernie quit selling the springs. I've had great experience with Trigger Tech on other guns as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KY, Very interesting, Thanks. That looks to me like something new in trigger design. I am kind of a trigger freak, and I found the "How it works" page fascinating. I want one! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made in Canada!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's scary! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
KY Nimrod,

I'm curious, did you try adjusting the original trigger first?

I also have an Accumark and lightened the pull a small amount when I bought it. It was pretty easy to do and I like it very much now.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
KY Nimrod,

I'm curious, did you try adjusting the original trigger first?

I also have an Accumark and lightened the pull a small amount when I bought it. It was pretty easy to do and I like it very much now.

The issue wasn't the weight so much as the amount of creep and as I mentioned there was some kind of a little hitch in it just before it broke. But it also wouldn't adjust down lower than about 3.5# which is common with a Mk V trigger because of the way the trigger return spring works.

I've got a ton of factory rifles with perfectly acceptable adjustments and pull weights. But some like this Mark V are just not gonna play ball.

A few months back I asked about the old style Model 70 trigger and everyone told me how wonderful and easily adjustable it was. Well...that had been my experience for the most part as well on my 6 model 70's. But this Featherweight compact model I had just wasn't gonna cooperate. I sent it off to a fellow who's worked on a bunch of model 70's for pillar bedding and he said he had a box of maybe 30 complete M70 trigger parts from guns he's swapped out the originals for Timiney's etc and he said he had to mix and match the trigger and sears in about 15 different combinations before he found one that worked on my gun. That's not exactly a simple adjustment. Said he simply could not get my original factory trigger to adjust. Which was my complaint as well... LOL. But it did get me where I wanted to go and now that rifle has a nice 2.5# crisp trigger. But people will tell you they have never had one you can't adjust. LOL

Sorry for the long answer. But yeah I messed with the Mk V trigger adjustment on this gun longer than I probably should have to no avail. Even the rep at Weatherby told me that creep is very common in Mk V triggers which is why the factory went to Trigger Tech on all their new rifles. FWIW, Bergara and Christianson Arms use trigger techs on many of their offerings as well. I have TT triggers on a Bergara, Remington and now my Mk V and they are uniformly excellent and easy as hell to adjust!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its an easy install--two hex head screws after you have the action out of the stock.

You might be a lucky guy. I had 2 Japanese Mk V's and neither screw on either of them would budge. Others have also reported those screws to be in very tight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They might be loc-tited in there. A little heat from a soldering iron or a little butane torch might break them free. Just go easy...heat try it ...heat a little more....try it.