New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Tang Modification
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone post a picture of a properly modified (thinned and contoured) M98 Tang? I have a couple to do and would love to see how the pros reshape them. Thanks!

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
NG
Sorry, the pic isn'tcoming up for me. Could you try again?

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the pic you are more likely to get the feel from. It too is Jack Belk's but I didn't have any of mine on hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat - The purpose in modifying the tang on a 98 is to allow a more graceful line for the grip of the stock. The military (and FN) tang contour requires a notch in the stock to clear the striker sear. By filing or grinding the top surface of the tang so that it tapers down to be flush with the bottom of the sear slot, you eliminate the notch and the ugly "humpbacked" FN grip.

The flaring of the sear slot (as in the first picture) is both attractive and functional. With Mauser bolt fit being what it is (sloppy), flaring the entrance to the slot prevents "buggering" up the tang when closing the bolt. Look closely at a military 98. The sides of the slot get beat up when the bolt is pushed forward at an angle to the bore. If the hardened sear is not lined up with the slot, it will gouge the tang. Widening the opening keeps the sear away from the sides of the slot until the bolt is farther in and better aligned.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poleax

Since Jack is no longer doing work (at least I don't think he is) Do you know anyone else that can serface gind like the lower action in your picture?

Thanks..Curt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cgdavid,
Jim Dubell and Mark Stratton both do it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
i moved the photo...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
cgdavid,
Jim Dubell and Mark Stratton both do it.

You have web addresses or phone numbers?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim is at 509 684 5855 and Mark is at octbarrel@aol.com, also at this link to his website

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly the information I needed. Thank you NG and Glenn--I'll get to work.

Jay Kolbe

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Jim is at 509 684 5855 and Mark is at octbarrel@aol.com, also at this link to his website

Many Thanks....