New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 7
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see many custom 700's, Mausers, and 70's. People recommend Tikkas, Howa's, and Savages. Why doesn't anyone seem to like the Remington Model 7's for a lightweight rifle that can be customized? Thanks!

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Brent C.

There is nothing wrong with a custom on a m7, as a matter of fact David Christman has one in his shop that will knock your socks off. It's actually a m600 but really you can’t tell what it is with out some close study. Custom bolt shroud, bottom metal, bolt release and bolt handle to name just a few improvements. Nice piece of walnut too.

There are fewer aftermarket parts for a m7, like bottom metal and stocks but it can all be had, it just costs money. Wink How deep are your pockets thumb

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluetick, I have seen that rifle and it is beautiful. I sure couldn't tell that it was a Remington. I have 2 mod.7's that are hunting guns. One is a 15 twist 30BR with lightened receiver, Jewell trigger, and a Brown Precision 16oz. stock.The other is a 6BR with a 12 twist. Both are built the same. They have Anshutz bolt releases and teflon coating. My grandsons have not used anything except one shot on several deer that they have killed. They are just so accurate.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Model Sevens....I think I've owned..let's see......308,.223,6mm,7-08 all blued/walnut...stainless synthetics in 260,.223 and 300SAUM (also had a couple 7SAUM's but only ever fired one of them). Currently I only have the blued/walnut 7-08 and a stainless 223 that I put in a factory laminated stock.They are one of the best routes to a lightweight rifle on a budget. The 7-08 blued/walnut weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces with a 2.5-8X Leupy in heavy Leupy one piece bases and rings...has a Pachymahr Decelerator at 13" LOP and the 18-1/2" barrel is Magna-Ported.....a guy had it set up for his daughter.....I like it. I've owned about as many 600/660's over the years...sold every one of them...the Seven is three times the rifle IMHO Big Grin

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have personal experience with several different Model 7's.
One in 223, two in 243, one in 6MM, eight in 308 [there might be more in 308 but I can think of 8 off the top of my head] and a 350 RMag [from the custom shop].
I shot most of these myself except maybe the 6MM I cant remember, but I did see it shot at the range and while hunting.
All of them have been very accurate.
All of mine have been shot on paper to 300 yards, with a few of the 308's on paper to 600 yards. My wife and I have killed a lot of game with a Model 7.
It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.
The only thing I have ever had to do was to put a scope on it and shoot it, oh and clean it once in a while. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rembo I just weighed my 6BR. It has an aluminum base and single screw aluminum rings. It also has the 2.5x8 VariX III scope. The barrel is a #2 Shilen with intregal brake. Mine weighs 6Lbs. 8oz. You must have some light walnut. My barrel is 19.5".
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent:

I like Butch have two model 7's one in .243 and the other in .308. After the actions are trued and after market barrels, triggers are installed they are hard to beat. Great little guns.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Rembo I just weighed my 6BR. It has an aluminum base and single screw aluminum rings. It also has the 2.5x8 VariX III scope. The barrel is a #2 Shilen with intregal brake. Mine weighs 6Lbs. 8oz. You must have some light walnut. My barrel is 19.5".
Butch

I got that weight from memory so I pulled it out and weighed it just now...exactly 6lbs 12ozs...unless my scale is off...this one has the 18-1/2" factory tube in 7-08.

I plan to put a set of Talley Lightweight rings on it and maybe put it into a B&C stock I have sitting here, just to see how light I can get it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What after market parts are available for Model 7's? Stocks, triggers, action parts, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of it. The 700 triggers fit, all the stockmakers have stocks, scope bases and mounts from several sources. I don't know what you mean by action pieces.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent:

McMillian, Brown Precision, and the Remington Sytntheic is pretty good. As Butch said any model 700 replacement trigger will work. Any 1.062 aftermarket recoil lug will work. My .308 model 7 came from the custom shop and has a better barrel than my model 7 in .243.
I am going to re barrel my model 7 in .243 with a stainless Kreiger.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The only differences I know of are the action is about 1/2 inch shorter than a short action and of course, the bolt body, firing pin, spring, stock and any other part whose size is governed by the action length is unique to the Mod 7.

They make a nice little rifle. I have a .223 in the laminated stock with the little schnabel forend half-stock. I screwed a spare Shilen #5 contour x 24 inch barrel on it with no other change. I know that kinda defeats the purpose in one way but it made a really handy "semi-varmint" rifle; stout enough to be stable off rests but still pretty easy to carry walking around. Neat little guns. to me, they make the short action 700 pointless.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went the model 7 route and was very disappointed. The gun had to go back to Remington for bad accuracy problems and even after they installed a new tube it had problems. I know this isn't typical but the gun is going to set you back $500-600. A new fiberglass stock will run $350. You'll at least need to bed the recoil lug. Tune or replace the trigger. Action work $150-250 depending on who does it. After all that she still might not shoot.
Here's what I ended up doing and should have done from the beginning. Kimber M84 Montana. Its lighter than a M7 and comes with an excellent trigger and Kevlar stock already bedded from the factory. Had mine out last week and put 5 Speer 145gr Grand Slams into about 1.25 inches as fast as I could work the work the handle and get steady off of sandbags on my pickup hood. That's not bad for a light whippy barrel with no time to cool off between shots. It will shoot 5 shots into very nice consistent 1" groups with Barnes TSX though I need to play around with the seating depth/powder and I might get it down a little.
Buy the Kimber, if it won't shoot you can send it back and they will make it right. After you monkey with the Model 7 you own all the problems.
One last thing, I found the magazine box on the model 7 so short that only SAAMI spec OAL ammo would fit and therefore it was hard to seat the bullets close to the lands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The model 7 trigger assembly is different than the Remington trigger assembly. The base trigger is the same but the safety and bolt release are different.

Jewel makes the correct parts if you need them for a nominal charge over their base model. I don't know about other makes...they might be able to use the stock parts...check with the maker before you buy a replacement trigger for a Remington M7...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jewell safety is the same, the bolt release is different.
Butch

one of us
Picture of hangunnr
posted Hide Post
The model 7 can be done up as well as any rifle.

This is my model 7 in .243 Win. It was built by Jeff Hicks of HD Rifles. Barrel is a Walther stainless. Action has been trued and trigger replaced with a Rifle Basix unit set at 10oz. The stock is a H.S. Precision. This one will shoot better than I'm able to run it.

hangunnr

Proudly living in the USA where even Bill Klinton has more moral fiber than PPPoacher.

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote